Crispy seasoned chicken breast, topped with mandatory melted cheese and piled onto soft rolls with onion, avocado, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo. Why wait for a weekend BBQ? Make this chicken burger for dinner tonight!
Greetings from San Francisco! Last leg of this trip, just here for a few days to break up the otherwise vereeeee long flight from New York to Sydney. Oh – and also to jam pack my suitcase with all sorts of goodies we can’t get back in Australia. Dear US readers – prepare to die – we Aussies do not have: canned green chillies, Graham Crackers, Chilli Powder as you know it (it ain’t just chilli!), 99% of the Mexican spices you get, pumpkin puree, good waffle makers, good silver baking trays (it’s a food blogger thing) and all the interesting baking chips you have. (We also don’t get Cool Whip and any sorts of premade doughs, but I can’t take them home. I’m also fine never knowing what Cool Whip tastes like!)
I must confess I have been to San Fran a few times before, so I feel no guilt sending mum off on tours for the main sights. We’re heading up to the Napa this weekend, enjoying getting lost in the world’s largest Chinatown (congee for breakfast!), and discovering some of San Fran’s wonderful foodie scene. But mostly it’s about walking / biking around and enjoying the city. San Fran is very similar to Sydney – “everyone” says that apparently! (PS I’ll do a brief San Fran foodie map, the RecipeTin Family doesn’t know San Fran as well as New York, but I have a handful of recommendations. I think you will love the NYC map – you can download it on your phone and use it on the move in NYC, that’s how we use it!)
I worked so hard to get a big stash of recipes photographed and filmed before I left, but when I arrived I kept finding little clips missing. I think in my rush, I didn’t download an entire memory card full of clips. So I did have something sweet planned for today, but I couldn’t find the footage for mixing the batter (kinda important!) so I had to shelve it until I get home. Boo to that.
And hence why two chicken recipes back to back – these Chicken Burgers following the (unbelievably popular) Ultra Lazy HEALTHY Creamy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake I shared just 2 days ago. I honestly think that is the most viewed new recipe ever in the history of RecipeTin Eats – certainly didn’t expect that!!
Nothing whizz bang about these Chicken Burgers, but they are a dang tasty staple recipe. The main thing is the seasoning for the chicken – I personally think it’s important to load up the chicken with plenty of flavour, especially if you only use one thinnish piece like I do (for a greater surface area to flesh ratio and no marinating).
I use avocado in this burger which adds creaminess and takes the place of a 2nd sauce / mustard that I would otherwise use. I’ve added some tips in the notes for alternative condiments that I think go great with chicken burgers.
Happy weekend everyone! Feeling a wee bit sad that my US trip is coming to an end, but I’m already thinking and when I’ll be back! Might be even sooner than I think. 🙂 – Nagi xx
Crispy seasoned chicken, topped with a mandatory slice of melted cheese and piled onto soft rolls with onion, avocado, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo. See recipe VIDEO below and notes for alternative condiments. The key to juicy chicken is to cook it hard and fast! You can eyeball the Seasoning - it will be tasty as long as you use "around" the right amounts. 🙂
- 1/3 cup /80g flour (any white)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions , halved them sliced (white, brown or yellow)
- 400 - 500g / 14 oz - 1 lb chicken breast (2 pieces) , cut in half horizontally into 2 thin steaks
- 4 – 8 slices Swiss or other melting cheese slices (Note 1)
- 4 soft rolls (I used brioche burger buns)
- 1 avocado
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I use whole egg)
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
Mix Garlic Mayo ingredients in a small bowl, set aside for 20+ minutes.
Mix Seasoning in a flat bowl / dish.
If required, pound chicken to about 1 cm / 2/5” thick. If wanting to be exact, trim to shape of rolls BUT ensure it is about 15% larger (it shrinks) (Note 2).
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat (if doing on BBQ, drizzle flat plate).
Add onion and cook, turning regularly, for 5 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper, toss, then remove.
While cooking the onions, preheat oven to 160C/320F. Split rolls, then lightly toast / warm the rolls (if using BBQ, just toast the cut side until crispy). Leave in turned off oven with door ajar while you cook chicken.
Heat 1 tbsp oil into the same skillet, still on high heat.
Dredge chicken in Seasoning, shake off excess, then place in skillet. Repeat.
Cook for 2 ½ minutes until golden, then flip.
Top with cheese then leave for 1 1/2 minutes. When the underside is golden, if the cheese is not yet melted, place lid on for 15 seconds (or tray or foil).
Remove chicken from skillet onto plate. Cover loosely with foil while you start assembling the burgers.
Smear base of roll with avocado, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with chicken, onion, lettuce then tomato.
Smear lid of roll with Garlic Mayo, place on burger. Enjoy!
1. I like using Swiss cheese (or Massdam – like a better value version of Swiss) or processed cheese (think McDonald’s style!) because they melt well but don’t drip everywhere and become slick with oil like Colby, Australian Tasty cheese.
2. If chicken is more than about 1 cm / 2/5” thick, use mallet (or rolling pin, back of knife or can) to pound. If you are wanting to be exact, pound to even. When cooked, surface area will shrink about 15% and thickness will increase by about 15%, so bare that in mind when comparing chicken shape to roll size. For exactness, feel free to trim to shape of rolls - I don’t usually do this unless the shape of the chicken is wildly long.
3. CONDIMENTS: The popular condiments of tomato ketchup and mustard are not in my base recipe because I use avocado. However, feel free to add any and all!
4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 400g/14 oz chicken breast and 1/3 cup mayo. Of the 666 calories per serving, 110 cal from the mayo, 45 cal is from the avocado, and 110 calories is from 1 slice of swiss cheese (yes, seriously). For a low carb version, try this recipe without the buns and make lettuce wraps (with all the other fixings in this recipe) - terrific! Also try using ketchup and mustard instead of mayo.
But for days you just want a really tasty burger, don't sub anything!
Chicken Burger recipe video! Not my best effort I’m afraid, the white balance is a bit off. I edited this video while on a bumpy flight from New York to San Francisco, and quite motion sick at that! 😉 The lovely stewardesses on Virgin America had great fun watching me make it as they moved up and down the aisles!!
LIFE OF DOZER
Do not be fooled by the innocence of this face. He uses his cuteness like a weapon to get anything and everything he wants. Including a huge bite of this burger (minus the onion and garlic mayo).