The Japanese version of this famous Sichuan spicy dish (Mapo Tofu/Mapo Doufu) is made with readily available ingredients and it is a lot less oily but is still an incredible flavour explosion in a bowl – I want the sauce on tap! This dish is on the table in 15 minutes, only 340 calories per serving and you can adjust the spiciness to your own taste. Serve it with rice – and because it is so saucy, I often add vegetables to it to make it a complete meal, such as chopped Chinese greens (Chinese broccoli, bok choy, pak choy) or even grated carrots!
Give this a try – I promise you won’t regret it. Pop it in your RecipeTin app!
- 2 tbsp oil (peanut, vegetable or canola)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp ginger , finely chopped or minced
- 1/4 cup scallions/shallots , minced
- 5 oz / 150 g ground/minced pork (or beef or chicken)
- 2 tsp chili bean sauce , adjust to taste (see notes)
- 12 oz / 300 g Firm Tofu (see notes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp chicken or vegetable stock powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake or Chinese Wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
In a bowl, combine cornflour with a splash of water, mix to combine, then add remaining Sauce ingredients and mix well.
Cut the tofu into 1/2 "/ 1 cm cubes.
Heat oil in wok over high heat.
Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for 10 seconds.
Add scallions/shallots and stir fry for 30 seconds.
Add mince and stir fry until the outside is brown, breaking up clumps.
Add Chili Bean Sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds.
Add tofu and sauce, and gently stir to cook the sauce until it becomes thick and saucy (about 1 to 2 minutes).
Serve with rice.
1. Tofu - silken tofu will not work for this dish as it will literally fall apart as you stir it while cooking. Extra firm or fried tofu is also not suitable - these are simply too hard.
2. This dish is traditionally made with pork but can also be made with beef or chicken (ground/minced).
3. Chili Bean Sauce is available in most large supermarkets. If not available, substitute for any other Asian chili sauce - e.g. sriracha, samba oelak.