These Shredded Beef Tacos are incredible! The beef is cooked until pull apart tender and the juices create an incredible sauce that’s perfect for tossing the bed in OR to serve on the side of tacos!
These tacos are made using my Mexican Shredded Beef which I’ve written out in this recipe too, to save you from popping between two recipes. 🙂
The reason I’m posting this recipe separately is because I’ve had quite a number of readers asking me what fixings I recommend for beef tacos, and how to serve the beef with tacos.
Truth be told, I mix and match all the typical Mexican sides for these shredded beef tacos. But my favorites are pictured in the photo above: Pico de Gallo for a burst of freshness, Sour Cream for a slight tang to cut through the richness of the beef, avocado slices for creaminess (I prefer slices to guacamole) and a small crumble of feta (being my substitute for Mexican Cotija cheese).
This Mexican Shredded beef can be made on the stove or in the slow cooker. It is cooked IN the sauce that the beef is tossed with which is nice and handy so you don’t have to make the sauce separately. 🙂
This makes plenty of sauce so I reserve about 3/4 cup to serve on the side and use the rest to toss the beef through.
I love serving tacos when I’m entertaining because it’s so easy to just lay everything out and let everyone serve themselves! My tip to keep tortillas warm is to wrap them in a clean dishcloth – sometimes I spray it with water which helps keep the tortillas moist.
Hope you enjoy! N x
- 1½ tbsp chipotle powder (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp All Spice powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp onion powder or garlic powder OR 1 tsp of each
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3lb / 1.5kg beef brisket (or chuck, gravy or any other slow cooking beef) cut into 2 or 3 large pieces
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, diced (yellow, brown or white)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 14oz/400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth/stock
- Salt and pepper
- Soft small tortillas (flour or corn)
- Avocado slices
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Cotija or feta, crumbled or grated cheese
- Combine the Spice Mix ingredients in a bowl. Rub 4 teaspoons over the beef.
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat, brown beef, then remove.
- Add garlic and onion, cook for 3 minutes. Add Beef ingredients and remaining Spice Mix and return beef to pot. (Do't worry if it is not completely submerged). Or at this stage, transfer to slow cooker.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cook for 2 hours with the lid on, then 30 minutes with the lid orr. Or cook for 6 hours in the slow cooker on low.
- Remove the beef and shred it with 2 forks. Leave the sauce to simmer with the lid off for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce and thicken to your taste. Adjust salt to taste. Puree sauce with a blender stick.
- To serve, toss the beef in the sauce - use as much as you want. Serve the extra sauce on the side.
- Warm tortillas, keep wrapped in a dish cloth to keep warm.
- Serve beef with taco sides of choice.