Vegetarian Vietnamese Noodle Bowls! You’ll love how crispy and caramelised the tofu is. This is a beautiful, guilt free bowl of fresh delicious. Rice noodles, carrot, lettuce and bean sprouts topped with marinated tofu, drizzled with a sweet, salt and sour Vietnamese noodle sauce. Incredibly healthy with a freshness that only herbs can bring to it.
More Vegetarian versions of popular Asian dishes
Build your own stir fry using this All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
Build your own stir fried Noodles
Vegetarian Vietnamese Noodle Bowl (Vegan)
Tofu and Marinade
- 500 g / 1 lbs firm tofu , sliced into 1/4"/0.5cm slices
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 fresh lime)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass , white part only, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 red birdseye chilli , finely chopped (or adjust quantity to your taste)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 200 g medium rice stick noodles
- 2 carrots , julienned
- 1 large cucumber julienned (with seeds removed)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Handful of mint leaves
- Handful of cilantro/coriander
- Sliced chili (for garnish - optional)
- Combine tofu and marinade ingredients and set aside for 20 minutes or so to let the flavours develop.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Adjust to your taste (spiciness, lime, sweetness) and set aside.
- Soak the rice stick noodles in hot water for 6 to 8 minutes (see note 2). The noodles are ready when they are "al dente" - still firm to touch. Rinse the noodles under cold water.
- Cook the marinaded tofu over high heat on the stovetop, or it is also great done on a BBQ, until caramelised and slightly crispy on each side.
- To serve - toss together the noodles with the vegetables, place into bowls and top with tofu, then drizzle with sauce.