Recipe VIDEO above. Made entirely in the oven (no stove!), the rice in this recipe is outrageously delicious! It's buttery and garlicky, tender but not mushy. The secret tip is to briefly bake onion with garlic and butter before adding the rice, liquids and chicken - it adds a great flavour base!
If scaling recipe up, use multiple pans. If scaling recipe down, use a smaller pan. Scale recipe using slider - click on Servings.
1. Drumsticks will also work great with this, no need to remove the skin and no change to cook time or temp.
The skin must be removed from the thighs otherwise the rice will be too greasy.
If you make this with boneless skinless thigh fillets or breast, put the rice in the oven covered with foil WITHOUT chicken. Bake for 30 minutes per recipe, then remove pan, take foil off, top with chicken then return to oven (no foil) for a further 20 - 25 minutes or until liquid in the pan is absorbed, per recipe.
2. This Rub can be substituted with any seasonings you want! Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Italian Herb Mix - just use what you have.
3. This recipe is best made with long grain rice because it's less sticky than short and medium grain. Basmati and jasmine will also work - around the same cook time. For brown rice, leave it covered for 45 minutes then bake uncovered 15 - 20 minutes until rice is tender.
This recipe is not suitable for Minute Rice, Risotto or Paella Rice.
4. This recipe makes 5 very generous servings! The nutrition assumes all the rice is consumed which it may not be.
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Amount Per Serving (318 g)
Calories from Fat 261
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Vitamin A 255IU5%
Vitamin C 6.6mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Originally published March 2017, updated June 2018 with an improved video, new photos and new commentary in post.