Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzaziki
Recipe video above. The marinade for the chicken is so sensational that I use it even when I'm not making Gyros! This is fantastic for entertaining because you can just lay it all out for guests to help themselves. The smell when the chicken is cooking is incredible - you can really smell the oregano and garlic!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time6 mins
Total Time26 mins
Servings: 4 - 6
- 2 lb / 1 kg chicken thigh fillets , boneless skinless
- 3 large garlic cloves , minced (~ 3 tsp)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or red wine or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt , preferably full fat
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cucumbers (to make about 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated cucumber after squeezing out juice)
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yoghurt , preferably full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tomatoes , desseeded and diced
- 3 cucumbers , diced
- 1/2 red spanish onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 pita breads or flat breads
Place the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and massage to mix. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag and massage to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 hours, ideally 12 hours and no longer than 24 hours.
Make the Tzatziki
Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the watery seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to meld.
Brush the outdoor grill with oil, then preheat on medium high. Or heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan over medium high heat.
Remove chicken from Marinade. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through (cooking time depends on size of chicken).
Remove the chicken from the grill / fry pan onto a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
If your chicken thighs are large, you may need to cut them. Mine were small.
Get a pita bread or flatbread (preferably warmed) and place it on a piece of parchment (baking) paper (or you could use foil). Place some Salad down the middle of the bread, then top with chicken and Tzatziki.
Roll the wrap up, enclosing it with the parchment paper. Twist the end with the excess parchment paper to secure it and cut if desired.
I prefer to lay everything out on a table and let everyone help themselves.
1. Tzatziki - makes a generous amount. But better to have too much than not enough!
2. Freezing - chicken can be frozen in marinade uncooked. Once thawed, massage well to remove curdling then cook per recipe!
Cooked chicken will keep for 4 days in the fridge.
3. Nutrition per serving assuming this serves 4 using pita bread.
Calories: 641.78kcal | Carbohydrates: 47.64g | Protein: 64.69g | Fat: 20.26g | Saturated Fat: 4.58g | Cholesterol: 242.16mg | Sodium: 1297.31mg | Potassium: 1456.56mg | Fiber: 5.09g | Sugar: 11.21g | Vitamin A: 1455.3IU | Vitamin C: 35.67mg | Calcium: 232.57mg | Iron: 4.09mg