Upside Down Strawberry Cake
To say this is bursting with fresh strawberry flavour is an understatement! There are 3 whole punnets of strawberries in this. No stand mixer required - just a wooden spoon. The cake is a moist yoghurt cake that holds up to the extraordinary amount of juices that the strawberries drop while baking. Recipe VIDEO below.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 750 g/ 1.5 lb strawberries , ripe
- 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tbsp plain white flour (all purpose flour)
- 50 g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 3/4 cups / 265g plain white flour (all purpose flour)
- 1 cup / 220g white sugar , preferably caster/superfine
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup plain yoghurt (preferably not low fat)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml vegetable oil (or canola)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Butter and line a 20 - 22 cm / 8 - 9" springform pan with parchment paper.
Slice about 2/3 of the strawberries about 4 mm / 1/6" thick until you have 3 cups of slices. Place in a bowl, add cornflour, toss.
Chop the rest into about 1.25 / 1/2" pieces (~ 2 cups) and put in a separate bowl. Add flour, toss.
Place butter and brown sugar in cake pan. Mix and spread out across base.
Spread strawberry SLICES over base of cake pan.
Place batter Dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk.
Place Wet ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combined.
Add Wet ingredients into the Dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until flour is incorporated - a few lumps is fine.
Spread just over half the batter over the strawberry slices.
Scatter over most of the chopped strawberries. Top with remaining batter and remaining strawberries.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean (20cm/8" pan takes closer to 60 minutes). The top will be a deep golden brown.
Remove sides and place on a rack to cool for 1.5 hours.
Carefully flip the cake onto a serving platter. Remove base and peel off paper (use knife to help if required).
Place jam in a small bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds, mix until smooth. Brush over top of cake.
Cool cake completely before serving.
1. STORING: The top of the cake "sweats" over time and that lovely shine and red strawberry colour (about 12 hours+) on the surface will fade a bit. To freshen it up, just brush with more jam and it will look as good as new!
2. I know this goes without saying, but the riper the strawberries, the better the cake flavour. Also, if you use unripe strawberries you may find the cake lacks a bit of sweetness. So you may wish to use an extra 1/2 cup of sugar in the batter.
3. For fellow baking nerds: Please refer to notes in post for logic for how I arrived at this recipe. :)
4. Nutrition per slice, assuming 12 slices (they are pretty large!)
Serving: 162g | Calories: 382kcal