Recipe VIDEO above. A classic Quiche Lorraine with a gorgeous smooth filling loaded with bacon. Make this with my EASY shortcrust quiche pastry or use store bought. Quiche is a brilliant make ahead because it's one of those things that truly reheats well without compromise - see notes.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 45 mins
Quiche Crust - choose one:
- 1 homemade quiche crust (shortcrust pastry)
- 2 sheets shortcrust , thawed
- 1 prepared pie shell , fridge or frozen
- 1 tbsp / 15g butter
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (~1/2 cup)
- 200 g / 6.5 oz bacon, cut into small strips (1.5 x 0.5cm / 2/3" x 1/5")
- 4 eggs (~55- 65g / 2 oz each)
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) heavy cream (thickened cream) (Note 1)
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (125g) grated gruyere cheese (or tasty, cheddar, monterey jack)
- 50g / 2 oz bacon, chopped and cooked until golden
Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan / convection).
Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon. Cook until bacon is light golden.
Transfer to a paper towel lined bowl and leave to cool.
Assembling and Baking:
Place quiche tin with cooked quiche crust on tray. Scatter cooled Bacon Filling evenly across base of cooked quiche crust.
Scatter cheese evenly across top.
Carefully pour Egg mixture over the top. Push some of the cheese/bacon below the surface.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the top is golden. The centre should still jiggly.
Garnish with Extra Bacon, if using. Rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cut and serve.
1. Cream - Works really great with any full fat cream. Please don't use low fat / fat reduced cream because you will risk the filling not setting. I like to use heavy / thickened cream (for whipping or pouring) with 35%+ fat content.
2. Pictured in post with this Kale and Quinoa Salad which I happened to have on hand because it's one of the few salads I know that keeps well for days and days.
3. MAKE AHEAD: Quiche is brilliant reheated. Keep for 3 - 4 days in the fridge then reheat for 15 minutes at 180C/350F in the oven. Or freeze, then defrost a slice for 2 minutes on high in the microwave then bake for 8 minutes.
4. Nutrition per slice, assuming 8 slices with homemade pastry. This does not take into account the drained bacon fat so the calories and fat are slightly higher than they actually are.
Serving: 116g | Calories: 427kcal