1. Swiss cheese (or masdaam sold at supermarket delis in Australia) is best for this recipe because it melts but holds it's shape quite well. If you substitute with gruyere, cheddar, mozzarella or any other melting cheese, more cheese will ooze out. But if you seal with extra toothpicks, you can use any cheese you want!
2. I used small ham rounds so I needed 2 for each to cover the surface inside the chicken.
3. Preferably full fat milk but low fat is also ok.
4. Make Ahead: Use the Dredge Method and then refrigerate for up to 24 hours (probably ok longer, I just haven't tried) or freeze uncooked. Keep leftover breadcrumbs and touch up if required before baking. Thaw then cook per recipe.
5. Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Calories per serving (180g/6oz chicken), assuming around 1/3 cup of sauce is used between the 2 servings.
Originally published October 2015, updated with new photos, better step by step instructions and a recipe video.
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Amount Per Serving (300 g)
Calories from Fat 217
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24.1g
Saturated Fat 8.8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 15.3g
Total Carbohydrates 19.4g
Dietary Fiber 1.5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.