Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Recipe video above. My midweek version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. All the flavour, all the crunch, much faster to make, and it's better for you because it's baked! Choose your method for crumbing the chicken - Super Easy or Quick Dredge (see photos for difference). Super Easy coats the top and sides of the chicken, but is faster than the Dredging Method. Served with a gorgeous traditional Dijon Cream Sauce!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup for Super Easy or 1 cup for Quick Dredge
- Oil spray
- 2 small chicken breasts, around 6-7oz/180-210g each
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese (Note 1)
- 4 to 6 slices of ham, about 2.5oz/75g (Note 2)
Method 1: Super Easy
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Dijon Cream Sauce (makes 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk (Note 3)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan).
Spread panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 3 minutes or until light golden. Remove and scrape into bowl straight away.
Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, as per the photo below.
Fold the cheese in half and place 2 pieces inside each pocket. Do the same with the ham. Close the pocket, seal with 2 toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Super Easy Method
Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Spread onto the top and sides of the chicken (not underside).
Sprinkle panko over the chicken, using your other hand to press the breadcrumbs onto the side of the chicken. Spray with oil.
Dijon Cream Sauce
Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
Add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is blended in.
Add remaining milk, mustard and cheese. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. It will thicken as it cools.
Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chicken.
1. Swiss cheese (or masdaam sold at supermarket delis in Australia) is best for this recipe because it melts but holds it's shape quite well. If you substitute with gruyere, cheddar, mozzarella or any other melting cheese, more cheese will ooze out. But if you seal with extra toothpicks, you can use any cheese you want!
2. I used small ham rounds so I needed 2 for each to cover the surface inside the chicken.
3. Preferably full fat milk but low fat is also ok.
4. Make Ahead: Use the Dredge Method and then refrigerate for up to 24 hours (probably ok longer, I just haven't tried) or freeze uncooked. Keep leftover breadcrumbs and touch up if required before baking. Thaw then cook per recipe.
5. Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Calories per serving (180g/6oz chicken), assuming around 1/3 cup of sauce is used between the 2 servings.
Originally published October 2015, updated with new photos, better step by step instructions and a recipe video.
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Amount Per Serving (300 g)
Calories from Fat 217
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8.8g55%
Polyunsaturated Fat 15.3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 300g | Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.4g | Protein: 72.3g | Fat: 24.1g | Saturated Fat: 8.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15.3g | Cholesterol: 207mg | Sodium: 996mg | Fiber: 1.5g | Sugar: 3.2g