Baked Balsamic Chicken
Recipe video above! No marinating required, just mix together a simple sauce, pour it over the chicken and bake. You will be amazed how incredible it tastes - and how sticky they are! PS If using the recipe scaler (hover over Servings), please read notes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 - 5
- 1 kg / 2 lb chicken thighs (5 pieces, bone in, skin on), or drumsticks or wings (any combination) (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp / 50 ml soy sauce , all purpose or light (not dark soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup (85 g / 65 ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (45g) brown sugar , loosely packed (Note 2)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp garlic paste from jar)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Line a baking dish with foil and baking / parchment paper.
Mix together Sauce in a bowl.
Place chicken in baking dish, skin side down for thighs and wings. Make sure the pan is big enough so the chicken is squished up next to each other (sauce may not reduce enough), but not so large that there is more than 4"/10 cm between every piece of chicken (sauce may reduce too much).
Pour over Sauce. Bake 30 minutes. Turn chicken over, spoon over sauce.
Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. The Sauce should have thickened.
Stand for 5 minutes, then spoon Sauce over chicken and serve.
1. Chicken - can use bone in thighs, drumsticks, wings. Needs skin.
If using frozen chicken, ensure it is thoroughly thawed, then pat dry before proceeding with recipe. Otherwise there will too much excess liquid and the sauce may not thicken.
Breast - Recipe does not work with breast. Recipe needs amendment as follows: Double sauce, place in saucepan over medium high, simmer rapidly until it reduces by over half to a syrup. You should end up with about 3/4 cup of balsamic reduction. Sprinkle breast with salt and pepper, sear or bake, spoon over sauce.
2. Sugar measurement - To do this, just scoop up brown sugar and level it off. Don't pack it down into the cup then top with more sugar - if you do that, you will use about 30% more sugar.
3. SCALING: If you scale down, use a smaller baking dish. If you scale up, you need to use a larger dish. If the chicken is too snug and there's no space between them at all, then it affects how the sauce reduces and thickens. You don't need loads of space, just a bit - watch the video!
4. MARINATING: The sauce is quite intense flavoured (you wouldn't drink it!) so you don't need to marinate the chicken. You can marinate for up to 24 hours if you wish. Or freeze immediately after combining Sauce and chicken, then as it defrosts the chicken will marinate.
5. MAKE AHEAD / STORING / FREEZING: Reheats really well for up to 3 days. Just cool and refrigerate, then microwave to reheat (oven can make glaze burn). Cooked leftovers also freezes really well. See Note 4 for freezing marinated chicken.
6. Nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings.
Serving: 255g | Calories: 475kcal