Asian Beef Bowls
Recipe VIDEO above. A fabulous quick stir fry made using beef mince (ground beef) <<-- No slicing meat! It's not saucy like usual stir fries, you don't need sauce because the beef mixes through the rice, and it has plenty of flavour and it's JUICY. Great recipe to add diced or julienned veggies!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time7 mins
Total Time12 mins
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce (or sub with Oyster)
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce (or sub with 1 1/2 tbsp Hoisin)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or Mirin, dry sherry, sake or any rice wine) (Note 1)
- 2 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce (Note 2)
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (or sub with black)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 500 g /1 lb beef mince (ground beef) (lean is good)
- 1/2 cup shallots / scallions , sliced, plus more for garnish
Mix Sauce together in a bowl
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute or until onion starts browning.
Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go.
Once the beef has all changed from red to brown, add Sauce. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until Sauce has evaporated and beef is cooked. If you want the beef cooked more, add a splash of water and keep cooking (I don't do this).
Stir through shallots, then serve over rice, garnished with more shallots and sesame seeds, if desired.
1. Chinese cooking wine (read more here)- sub with Mirin, dry sherry or cooking sake. If you can't consume alcohol, add 1/4 cup of chicken stock/broth - the sauce will take around 3 minutes to evaporate, but the end result will be similar!
2. Soy Sauce - This recipe calls for DARK soy sauce, has more flavour than light and all purpose soy sauce, and makes the food a deeper brown colour. Can sub with all purpose soy or sauce, but beef colour won't be as dark brown.
3. Storage - leftovers will keep in the fridge for 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months!
4. Nutrition per serving, excluding rice.
Serving: 174g | Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1024mg | Potassium: 499mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 4.4mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 3.3mg