Chicken Burger Recipe
Recipe video above. Crispy seasoned chicken, topped with a mandatory slice of melted cheese and piled onto soft rolls with onion, avocado, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo. The key to juicy chicken is to cook it hard and fast! You can eyeball the Seasoning - it will be tasty as long as you use "around" the right amounts. :)
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1/3 cup /80g flour (any white)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions , halved them sliced (white, brown or yellow)
- 400 - 500g / 14 oz - 1 lb chicken breast (2 pieces) , cut in half horizontally into 2 thin steaks
- 4 – 8 slices Swiss or other melting cheese slices (Note 1)
- 4 soft rolls (I used brioche burger buns)
- 1 avocado
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I use whole egg)
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
Mix Garlic Mayo ingredients in a small bowl, set aside for 20+ minutes.
Mix Seasoning in a flat bowl / dish.
If required, pound chicken to about 1 cm / 2/5” thick. If wanting to be exact, trim to shape of rolls BUT ensure it is about 15% larger (it shrinks) (Note 2).
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat (if doing on BBQ, drizzle flat plate).
Add onion and cook, turning regularly, for 5 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper, toss, then remove.
While cooking the onions, preheat oven to 160C/320F. Split rolls, then lightly toast / warm the rolls (if using BBQ, just toast the cut side until crispy). Leave in turned off oven with door ajar while you cook chicken.
Heat 1 tbsp oil into the same skillet, still on high heat.
Dredge chicken in Seasoning, shake off excess, then place in skillet. Repeat.
Cook for 2 ½ minutes until golden, then flip.
Top with cheese then leave for 1 1/2 minutes. When the underside is golden, if the cheese is not yet melted, place lid on for 15 seconds (or tray or foil).
Remove chicken from skillet onto plate. Cover loosely with foil while you start assembling the burgers.
Smear base of roll with avocado, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with chicken, onion, lettuce then tomato.
Smear lid of roll with Garlic Mayo, place on burger. Enjoy!
1. I like using Swiss cheese (or Massdam – like a better value version of Swiss) or processed cheese (think McDonald’s style!) because they melt well but don’t drip everywhere and become slick with oil like Colby, Australian Tasty cheese.
2. If chicken is more than about 1 cm / 2/5” thick, use mallet (or rolling pin, back of knife or can) to pound. If you are wanting to be exact, pound to even. When cooked, surface area will shrink about 15% and thickness will increase by about 15%, so bare that in mind when comparing chicken shape to roll size. For exactness, feel free to trim to shape of rolls - I don’t usually do this unless the shape of the chicken is wildly long.
3. CONDIMENTS: The popular condiments of tomato ketchup and mustard are not in my base recipe because I use avocado. However, feel free to add any and all!
4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 400g/14 oz chicken breast and 1/3 cup mayo. Of the 666 calories per serving, 110 cal from the mayo, 45 cal is from the avocado, and 110 calories is from 1 slice of swiss cheese (yes, seriously). For a low carb version, try this recipe without the buns and make lettuce wraps (with all the other fixings in this recipe) - terrific! Also try using ketchup and mustard instead of mayo.
But for days you just want a really tasty burger, don't sub anything!