Why wait for a weekend BBQ? Make this chicken burger for dinner tonight!
Crispy seasoned chicken breast, topped with mandatory melted cheese and piled onto soft rolls with onion, avocado, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo. Quick to make for a midweek meal, great for gatherings!
Big, juicy Chicken Burgers!
I love a good juicy hamburger. Burgers are one of my favourite quick meal options, and also my go-to option when I’m pressed for time when hosting a gathering.
For a sensible meal option, I do tend to favour these Chicken Burgers over beef Hamburgers because they’re healthier – leaner meat, lower calories, lower fat. Just as tasty!
Seasoning for chicken breast
These chicken burgers are made with crispy seasoned chicken breast fillets. I just halve chicken breasts to create two thin steaks – or you can buy chicken breast already cut into steaks at the store.
Coat in a seasoned flour (the flour makes it nice and crispy), pan fry until golden then top with cheese to melt.
Meanwhile, that the burger buns or bread rolls and prepare your toppings! I like to fry up some onion because a burger doesn’t feel like a burger without onions.
But the beauty of burgers is that you can load it up with your toppings of choice. Lettuce, tomato, pickles, beetroot, avocado, bacon, egg. Go wild!
Nothing whizz bang about these Chicken Burgers, but they are a dang tasty staple recipe. The main thing is the seasoning for the chicken – I personally think it’s important to load up the chicken with plenty of flavour, especially if you only use one thinnish piece like I do (for a greater surface area to flesh ratio and no marinating).
I use avocado in this burger which adds creaminess and takes the place of a 2nd sauce / mustard that I would otherwise use. I’ve added some tips in the notes for alternative condiments that I think go great with chicken burgers.
Happy weekend everyone! – Nagi xx
More Burgers, Sliders and Sandwiches
- Big, juicy Hamburgers
- Steak Sandwich – super quick
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Burger – chicken marinated in a homemade flavour bomb Peri Peri sauce
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders and Sloppy Joes!
- Cubanos – The famous Cuban roast pork sandwich from The Chef movie
- Pastrami Sandwiches – Rye bread piled high with homemade pastrami. EPIC!
- Veggie Burger – Meatless made amazing. Puts those doughy bricks at the shops to shame!
- Browse all Burgers and Sandwiches & Sliders recipes
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Chicken Burger recipe video! Not my best effort I’m afraid, the white balance is a bit off. I edited this video while on a bumpy flight from New York to San Francisco, and quite motion sick at that! 😉 The lovely stewardesses on Virgin America had great fun watching me make it as they moved up and down the aisles!!
Chicken Burger Recipe
- 1/3 cup /80g flour (any white)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions , halved them sliced (white, brown or yellow)
- 400 - 500g / 14 oz - 1 lb chicken breast (2 pieces) , cut in half horizontally into 2 thin steaks
- 4 – 8 slices Swiss or other melting cheese slices (Note 1)
- 4 soft rolls (I used brioche burger buns)
- 1 avocado
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I use whole egg)
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
- Mix Garlic Mayo ingredients in a small bowl, set aside for 20+ minutes.
- Mix Seasoning in a flat bowl / dish.
- If required, pound chicken to about 1 cm / 2/5” thick. If wanting to be exact, trim to shape of rolls BUT ensure it is about 15% larger (it shrinks) (Note 2).
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat (if doing on BBQ, drizzle flat plate).
- Add onion and cook, turning regularly, for 5 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper, toss, then remove.
- While cooking the onions, preheat oven to 160C/320F. Split rolls, then lightly toast / warm the rolls (if using BBQ, just toast the cut side until crispy). Leave in turned off oven with door ajar while you cook chicken.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil into the same skillet, still on high heat.
- Dredge chicken in Seasoning, shake off excess, then place in skillet. Repeat.
- Cook for 2 ½ minutes until golden, then flip.
- Top with cheese then leave for 1 1/2 minutes. When the underside is golden, if the cheese is not yet melted, place lid on for 15 seconds (or tray or foil).
- Remove chicken from skillet onto plate. Cover loosely with foil while you start assembling the burgers.
- Smear base of roll with avocado, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with chicken, onion, lettuce then tomato.
- Smear lid of roll with Garlic Mayo, place on burger. Enjoy!
But for days you just want a really tasty burger, don't sub anything!
LIFE OF DOZER
Do not be fooled by the innocence of this face. He uses his cuteness like a weapon to get anything and everything he wants. Including a huge bite of this burger (minus the onion and garlic mayo).