An exciting way to use ground meat (mince) to make a quick stir fry that taste unbelievable! This is great made with chicken, turkey or pork. It also works with beef though it is better made with "white meats". Serve it over rice or vermicelli noodles to make rice bowls with shredded lettuce, carrots and cucumbers on the side (very classic Vietnamese meal!). | 262 calories per serving
1. Birds eye chilis are small red chilis that are usually around 3 to 4cm (1.5 - 2") long. They are very spicy! You can substitute with any chili you want, or even exclude it if you are making this for kids. Just adjust to your taste.
This dish is great to serve with sriracha on the side so people can add the amount of heat they want.
2. To make the shallots/scallions curl like you see in the photos, slice the green part very finely on the diagonal then place in a bowl of cold water in the fridge. Leave for 20 minutes or so, then they will curl. This is optional - you could just slice them!
3. I don't break up the meat too finely like I do when making bolognaise or similar. That's just a personal preference for this particular dish because I like having larger chunks of meat.
4. Lemongrass is a lovely and very traditional Vietnamese herb used in dishes like this. 1 stalk, white part only, very VERY finely chopped. Add it into the skillet with the garlic.
5. Nutrition is for the pork stir fry only, excludes the rice and assumes you use a lean pork.