Magic Broccoli (Best roasted broccoli recipe ever!)
Recipe video above. This is insanely simple to make but it's the best broccoli ever! I call it "Magic Broccoli" because it IS magic how a little roasting and a drizzle of lemon juice and parmesan can transform broccoli!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 medium to large heads of broccoli , about 1 kg / 2 lb
- 2 garlic cloves , finely sliced or minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to your taste)
- Black pepper
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese , plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 220C/425F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan/convection).
Cut/break broccoli into florets and pile onto baking tray. (Note 2 re: stem)
Drizzle all over with extra virgin olive oil, scatter with garlic, salt and pepper. Toss with fingers or tongs, then spread out over tray in a single layer (or toss in large bowl or ziplock bag).
Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the tips of the florets are slightly browned and crispy. The broccoli should be "tender crisp", meaning just cooked through, not soft and floppy.
Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle over the lemon juice, zest, and parmesan. Toss quickly, transfer to serving plate and garnish with a bit more parmesan. Serve warm!
1. Broccoli size - heads about 20 - 22cm / 8-9" wide. Sounds like alot, but the broccoli shrinks while baking.
2. Broccoli stem - the thick stem that most people just discard actually has terrific flavour, just like the small stem on each floret. Just peel the outer layer - vegetable peeler or stand it upright and use your knife - then chop and use in this recipe or another recipe. I stockpile things like this and end up using it in a Fridge Forage recipe that I do every week! Stir fries (cut into batons), finely dice and use in soups, fried rice, casseroles or even hide them in things like pasta sauces.
Serving: 203g | Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 406mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1435IU | Vitamin C: 204.2mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 1.7mg