Oven Baked Chicken Quesadillas
This is how to make multiple Quesadillas in one batch, rather than making them one by one on the stove! They are crispy and stuffed with Fajita flavoured chicken, onion, capsicum/bell peppers and of course cheese. Use this technique to make quesadillas with anything you want - just ensure you cool the filling. See recipe VIDEO below the recipe to see how crispy these are!
- 400 g / 14 oz chicken , cut into small bite size pieces (thigh, breast or tenderloin)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or sub with onion powder)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp salt + black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , diced (brown, white, yellow)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 red capsicum / bell pepper , diced
- 1 green capsicum / bell pepper , diced
- 4 flour tortillas (20cm/8")
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cups grated cheese, or more to taste (tasty, cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or other melting cheese of choice) (Note 1)
Place Chicken ingredients in a bowl and mix to coat chicken.
Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Then add capsicum and cook for 2 minutes until starting to soften. Transfer into bowl.
Return skillet to the stove. Add chicken and cook until browned. Add to same bowl. Set aside until the filling cools (to speed it up, cover and refrigerate, and/or spread out on plate).
Preheat oven to 220C / 430F (standard) or 200C/390F (fan / convection).
Spray baking tray lightly with olive oil. Heat in the oven while you assemble the quesadillas.
Divide the filling between the tortillas, covering half the surface. Top with cheese. Fold in half and press down gently but firmly.
Remove baking tray from oven. Transfer quesadillas onto tray (you should hear a soft sizzle).
Bake for 8 minutes. Then turn the quesadillas (over the folded edge) then press down with the egg flip. Bake for a further 8 minutes or until the surface is crispy.
Remove from oven and serve immediately!
1. I tend not to use Mozzarella Cheese in quesadillas because it doesn't have as much flavour as other cheese. But feel free to use it if you want!
2. The 3 things I found make all the difference so the quesadillas come out crispy (without baking them so long they are dark brown are):
a) Cooling the filling first (reduces steam inside the quesadilla while baking);
b) Heating oiled baking tray; and
c) Cooking in a fairly hot oven.
3. You can make 2 trays of this at the same time. It will take around 5 minutes longer and the trays should be swapped partway through. The tray that ends up at the bottom will probably need a few minutes longer after you take the top one out.
4. Oven Baked Chicken Quesadillas nutrition per serving (1 quesadilla).
Serving: 233g | Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.8g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 24.3g | Saturated Fat: 8.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15.2g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 561mg | Fiber: 3.4g | Sugar: 4.1g