Build Your Own Homemade Granola (Muesli)
This is the ultimate build-your-own HEALTHY homemade granola recipe! Choose your own nuts, seeds, dried fruit, sweetener and flavouring. Recipe VIDEO below.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 4 cups / 360 g rolled oats (not steel cut or quick cooking)
- 1 cup coconut flakes (or more nuts or oats)
- 1 cup raw nuts (eg. sliced almonds, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (eg. chopped apricots, apple, pineapple, raisins)
- 1 tsp your favourite spice (eg. cinnamon, pumpkin spice, gingerbread mix)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sweetener (eg. honey, maple syrup, agave, see note 2 for Brown Sugar)
- 1/3 cup fat (eg. melted butter, canola oil or coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp flavouring (eg. vanilla, almond essence, orange blossom)
Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
Combine Dry ingredients, excluding dried fruit.
Combine Wet ingredients.
Combine Wet and Dry ingredients. Do a taste test. Adjust to taste - more sweet, more fat etc.
Spread on baking tray and bake until golden, approximately 35 - 40 minutes, tossing twice.
Stir through dried fruit. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
Preheat oven to 140C/280F. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Combine Wet excluding egg whites.
Combine Dry including dried fruit.
Whisk egg whites with fork until foamy.
Mix Wet and Dry in a large bowl, then mix through egg whites.
Spread granola on the tray, making a hole in the centre, like a doughnut (see photo in post).
Bake for 45 minutes - DO NOT STIR - until golden. Check at 35 minutes.
Then turn the oven off, leave the granola in the oven, and open the oven door open a bit. Leave the granola to cool. The colour will deepen and it will firm up.
Once cool, break into clusters. Store in an airtight container.
1. Some GRANOLA FLAVOUR COMBINATIONS:
* My Classic Fruit & Nut: Butter, Honey, Almonds + Pumpkin Seeds, mixed dried chopped fruit (store bought mix), cinnamon powder and vanilla essence.
* Apple Pie: As above but use only almonds and dried apples.
* Oatmeal Raisin Cookie: Butter, honey, raisins, vanilla and cinnamon, pinch of All Spice.
* Blueberry Pie: Apple Pie recipe but use dried blueberries instead and skip the cinnamon powder and add a dash of lemon essence.
* Super Berries: Try using dried goji berries!
* Orange Almond: Almonds and orange blossom
* Maple Pecan Pie! Use Pecans, vanilla, butter, maple
2. Brown Sugar: Add this into the Dry Ingredients.
3. Originally published in May 2014, updated with video and improved recipe. Changes include: adding a method to make clumpy granola without adding more sweetener or fat, for the loose granola, adding the dried fruit at the end which ensures none of it burns (sometimes, some fruit on the surface can get a little too brown). All photos were replaced and words were rewritten.
4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 10 servings (about 2/3 cup per serving).
Serving: 3g | Calories: 365kcal