Plump, extra juicy, extra tasty rissoles - an Aussie favourite! I usually make Beef Rissoles but these can be made with lamb, pork, chicken or turkey. Makes 10 - 12 rissoles. Recipe VIDEO below. (PS For those who are unfamiliar with rissoles, they are basically squashed meatballs! A classic Aussie family favourite :) )
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 small brown onion
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or normal)
- 500 g / 1 lb beef mince (ground beef) (Note 1)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small carrot
- 1 egg
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano (or sub with other favourite herbs)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Grate the onion into a large bowl using a box grater (see video). Add panko, mix briefly to coat in the onion juices.
Grate zucchini and carrot into the bowl. Add remaining Rissoles ingredients. Mix well. Scoop up about 1/4 cup of mixture, form a 1.7cm / 2/3" thick pattie. Indent the middle slightly (Note 2, see photos in post). Repeat with remaining mixture - you should make 10 - 12.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add half the patties and cook for 4 minutes or until dark golden. Press LIGHTLY with spatula, if you press hard, you'll press the juices out!
Flip and cook the other side for 3 - 4 minutes until golden.
Transfer to plate, repeat with remaining rissoles.
Serve with tomato ketchup!
1. The beef can be substituted with lamb, pork, chicken or turkey. If using chicken, make sure you aren't using a wet mince (some supermarket packet mince is very wet and your mixture will be too wet to form patties). If your mixture is too loose because the mince is wet, salvage it with more breadcrumbs.
2. Making the indent in the rissoles stops them from puffing up so they look nice AND you won't have the temptation to press all the juices out!
3. BAKING: Spray tray well (don't line with paper, doesn't brown as well). Place rissoles on tray, spray top well, bake at 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan/convection) for 20 minutes, flip then bake for 5 minutes until golden.
4. JUICINESS and EXTRA FLAVOUR in these rissoles comes from the grated onion, grated zucchini (terrific trick used in cakes too!!) and also see Note 2.
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings.
Serving: 38g | Calories: 438kcal