Recipe video above. One of the most epic soups of the world does take time to make but it's so worth it! The deeply caramelised onions make an incredible flavour base for the broth. And that cheesy toast is a must! See recipe notes for SLOW COOKER Caramelised Onions.
1. Onions - halve them then cut from the top to bottom (see video). It makes them hold their shape better when cooking and you don't get stringy bits. But it's not a big deal! Half the onions in the video were accidentally cut the other way.
2. Wine is used to deglaze the pot here, to get the brown stuff off the base of the pot and also the wine adds flavour into the soup broth. It's fine to skip it - the beef broth ends up having the same deglazing effect.
Any non-sweet, non-woody wine is fine. Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris are what I use.
3. Broth/stock - French Onion Soup can be made with chicken or beef broth. It is more commonly made with beef stock, from what I have observed.
Use a good quality beef stock. I personally do not recommend mainstream brands from major supermarkets in Australia. I use Maggie Beer and Moredough from Harris Farms, , or private labels from butchers.
It is better to use chicken or vegetable broth rather than sub-standard beef broth.
Best to use low salt and add salt if required.
4. Bread - The idea with the recipe is that you can use a spoon to cut through the bread into the soup to eat it (see video). So it's best not to use chewy artisan breads like sourdough. The softer the crumb, the better. Even a thick standard sandwich bread would work!
5. SLOW COOKER CARAMELISED ONIONS (see recipe video above) - Read in post for background. Directions: Place onions in slow cooker, toss with 2 tbsp (30g) melted butter. Slow cook on LOW for 10 hours. Onion will be browned but won't have a proper caramelised flavour. Add 2 tbsp (30g) butter into large pot over medium high heat. Tip in all the onions and SOME (not all) of the juices from slow cooker. Cook 10 to 15 minutes until deeply caramelised. Proceed with recipe.
6. Nutrition per serving, assuming 6 servings.