Recipe video above.
These muffins are so tasty and moist that you don't even need butter for them, just eat them plain! I especially like to serve these as a side to Chili Con Carne
, and of course they make an appearance for any Southern meals I make! Can also be made in a skillet.
1. Cornmeal (polenta): In Australia, cornmeal is labelled as "polenta" in most supermarkets. Polenta is a porridge-like side dish that has a consistency like a very loose creamy mashed potato. It is to Italians what Mashed Potato is to other countries. Polenta is made from cornmeal which is ground corn.
2. Flour - Can sub flour + baking powder with self raising flour.
3. STORING: These keep well for a 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. They are always best served warm with butter and honey, or something for dunking!
4. CREAMED CORN SUB: If you can't get canned creamed corn, use this as a sub (we tried it and it's near perfect) - use 1 can of corn kernels. Put all the corn + 1/3 of the liquid in the can + 1 tbsp flour into a bowl. Then blitz with hand blender (or use blender) until you can't see whole corn kernels anymore but there are still corn chunks (don't to puree). See video for what creamed corn looks like. Use in place of canned creamed corn in this recipe.
5. WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE: Moist with a muffin like texture with a lovely corn flavour. A bit sweet (2 tsp sugar in each muffin) but not overly sweet (can reduce sugar) with a bit of gritty texture from the cornmeal which is a nice reminder that it's there. I am utterly in love with these Cornbread Muffins!
6. Leftover creamed corn: This is what I do (don't judge me!) - toast bread, heat corn, spread on toast, top with cheese, grill. Eat and be happy...
7. Nutrition per muffin.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g31%
Vitamin A 315IU6%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Cornbread Muffin recipe was originally published in October 2014. Recipe slightly improved, rewrote post, new photos, recipe video added - it's a total refresh!