Chinese Chicken Salad with Asian Peanut Salad Dressing
A crunchy Chinese chicken salad tossed with a lip smackingly delicious peanut dressing, this is the sort of salad that's a truly satisfying meal in itself!
- 2 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil (or vegetable, grapeseed or peanut oil)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp+ Sriracha
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp water (or lime juice)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger , freshly grated
- 1 1/2 cups Chinese cabbage / Napa cabbage , shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage , shredded
- 1 1/2 cups carrots , julienned (I used Just Veg pre shredded carrots) (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 shallot / green onion / scallion , finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup peanuts , roughly chopped
- 1/4+ cups crunchy fried noodles (I use Changs)
Mix Dressing in a jug or small bowl. Use water to adjust consistency (it should be pretty thick and gloopy), Sriracha for spiciness and saltiness with salt (not more soy sauce).
Place all Salad ingredients in a bowl, reserving some noodles, peanuts and shallots for topping. Drizzled with Dressing and toss. Garnish with remaining noodles, peanuts and shallots and serve immediately.
1. Fresh, crunchy and juicy, pre shredded carrots by Just Veg are available at Woolworths stores on the east coast of Australia. These pre shredded carrots are not only super handy to have on hand for quick salads, pop into sandwiches and wraps or to add into meals, they are made using carrots that are deemed "not good enough" for the stores that would otherwise go to waste.
Grown, shredded and packed by Aussie farmers in Queensland, this initiative to reduce waste and encourage Aussies to eat more fresh veg is underpinned by the drive of 5 farmers' wives. Read more about their story in the post - you'll love it as much as I do!
2. The Dressing can be served on the side if preferred.
3. To make this Gluten Free, use GF peanut butter and soy sauce (tamari) and leave out the noodles. Use crunchy fried shallots instead! (Sold in the Asian section of supermarkets)
4. Nutrition per serving. This makes two BIG servings! (Or 4 as a side).
Serving: 457g | Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.8g | Protein: 38.6g | Fat: 25.1g | Saturated Fat: 4.2g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 587mg | Potassium: 1036mg | Fiber: 4.8g | Sugar: 16.4g | Vitamin A: 16200IU | Vitamin C: 131.2mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 4.9mg