A juicy steak sandwich, piled high with tender slices of steak, tomato, lettuce, caramelised onion, garlic aioli and mustard. The caramelised onion really gives this a "gourmet" spin but see notes for faster suggestions.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Quick Garlic Aioli (Note 1)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise , preferably whole egg
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
Caramelised Onion (Note 2)
- 3 large onions , peeled and finely sliced (brown, white or yellow)
- 40 g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt & pepper
- 600 - 700 g / 1.2 - 1.4 lb grilling beef steak (Note 3)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes , thickly sliced
- 60 g / 2 oz rocket /arugula or other lettuce of choice
- Mustard (I use American)
- Turkish bread , about 60cm / 2 feet long (or 4 rolls / buns of choice)
Garlic Aioli: Mix mayonnaise and garlic together. Set aside for 30 minutes+ for the flavour to develop (do not keep for more than 3 days tops).
Caramelised Onion: Melt butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and stir to coat in butter. Place lid on (or place a baking tray over skillet) and leave for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove lid then cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring every now and then, until onion is golden (increase heat slightly if the colour is not changing). Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for a further 10 minutes until jammy. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Take beef out of fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a skillet over high heat (or heat BBQ). Cook steak to your liking - if using a secondary cut like Bavette, skirt or flat iron, it's best medium rare.
Transfer beef to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 - 10 minutes. Then slice thinlyagainst the grain
Cut turkish bread into 15cm/6" lengths and split into half. Toast lightly.
Spread the bottom piece generously with garlic aioli. Top with rocket, then tomato slices, beef, caramelised onion. Spread the top piece of bread with mustard then place on top.
1. I made this as a quick meal using a shortcut garlic aioli. If you'd like to try your hand at a homemade one, here's how: Place 2 garlic cloves (minced) and 2 egg yolks in a small food processor. Whizz briefly to combine. Then while processing on medium low speed, slowly pour in 3/4 cup (185ml) olive oil (NOT EXTRA VIRGIN, too strong). At the end, add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard and a squeeze of lemon juice.
2. The Caramelised Onion really takes it to that next level! But if you are pressed for time, I suggest just cooking onions in butter over medium high heat until softened. You'll only need 2 onions if you do this. To make it sort of like caramelised onions, add 2 tbsp of brown sugar towards the end.
3. I made this using Bavette Beef which is also known as flap meat, flap steak, sirloin flap steak and sirloin tip. BRILLIANT value for money, it's a secondary cut that's more flavourful (beefy) than more expensive mainstream steaks like porterhouse etc. When cooked no more than medium at most (preferably medium rare) and sliced thinly against the grain, every piece is beautifully tender.
It's like skirt steak but thicker which I really like because that's my gripe about skirt steak! It's like flat iron but more fibrous so when sliced thinly across the grain, each piece is more tender. I am a huge fan of this new discovery! I purchased the Bavette from Harris Farms in Australia - it's part of their Curious Cuts range.
This recipe is suited to any cut of beef suitable for grilling.
For Bavette at room temperature (about 2cm thick), I cooked it for 3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the other for medium rare.
4. Steak Sandwich nutrition per serving. 153 calories of the total is attributable to the Garlic Aioli, 126 calories is for the Caramelised Onions.
Serving: 423g | Calories: 810kcal | Carbohydrates: 67.8g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 36.8g | Saturated Fat: 10.8g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1078mg | Potassium: 869mg | Fiber: 6.3g | Sugar: 16.4g | Vitamin A: 1200IU | Vitamin C: 23.1mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 8.5mg