Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Beautiful moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting! A very easy, very forgiving recipe. Make these as bars using a larger pan, or more cake-like as I have!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 12 - 20
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups (350g) white sugar (Note 1)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 15 oz / 420 g can pure pumpkin , or 2 cups mashed fresh pumpkin (Note 2)
- 2 cups (300g) all purpose / plain flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz / 180 g cream cheese , at room temperature
- 2 sticks / 225 g / 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups (480 g) confectionary / icing sugar (sifted if clumpy)
Preheat oven to 350F / 180C, all oven types.
Spray and line a large pan around 9 x 13" / 22 x 33cm with baking paper with overhang. (Note 3)
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
1. This can be cut down to 1 1/4 cups.
2. We don't have canned pumpkin here in Australia. So I used fresh pumpkin and it came out perfectly! I used a 800g - 1kg / 1.6 - 2 lb pumpkin, peeled then deseeded cut into large chunks. Boiled it for 15 minutes until very soft. Drained then returned into pot on turned off stove to dry off. Then mashed. That yielded around 2 cups pumpkin.
3. The height of pumpkin cake/bars differs depending on the pan size you use. Mine is smaller than ideal so mine came out more like cake height rather than bar height. But either way, it doesn't matter - this cake is so moist, it is extremely versatile. Make it as a round cake, bundt cake, loaf pan, muffins!
4. Another fantastic recipe from a Sassy Lady from the South, the wonderful Dorothy from Tennessee. A long time reader of RecipeTin Eats, a fantastic cook with great taste to whom a number of reader favourite recipes are credited:
* Moist Easy Apple Cake <-- This is becoming famous!
* Dorothy's Carrot Cake
* 5 Ingredient No Bake Peanut Bars
5. This makes a large cake. If you cut it into large generous squares as pictured, then it will serve 12. If you can it into rectangles, then it will serve 18 - 20. Over half the calories shown below is attributable to the frosting.
Serving: 116g | Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 52.3g | Protein: 3.4g | Fat: 24.3g | Saturated Fat: 10.2g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 3750IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.3mg