Recipe video above. An incredible way to use mushrooms in a meal - in a mushroom pasta! The tastiness of this pasta lies in the mushrooms you use because it's all about the mushrooms. This pasta is made the proper Italian way so even though it's only made with 6 ingredients, it's saucy and juicy and so incredibly tasty!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 2 -3
- 200 g / 7 oz orecchiette pasta (or 160g/6 oz of other pasta) (Note 1)
- 300 - 350 g / 10 - 12 oz Swiss Brown Mushrooms (Note 2)
- 2 - 3 tbsp unsalted butter , separated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or 1/4 cup store bought grated)
- Parsley , finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese , grated
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta into the pot when you start cooking the mushrooms.
Cook pasta per packet instructions minus 1 minute. RESERVE 1 mugful of pasta cooking liquid, then drain pasta.
Meanwhile, slice mushrooms into 4mm / 1/6" thick slices.
Melt 1 tbsp of butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add garlic and onions. Cook for 1 minute.
Turn heat up to high. Add mushrooms and cook until water has leeched then evaporated, and the mushrooms start to turn golden - around 5 minutes.
Add remaining 1 - 2 tbsp butter. Stir until melted.
Turn heat down to medium high. Add pasta, about 3/4 cup of reserved pasta water and parmesan. Toss gently or until water reduces and thickens into a saucy glaze that coats the pasta. If the pasta dries out, add more pasta water.
Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from stove and serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
1. Orecchiette pasta are pictured in the photos. They are shaped like mini bowls and are sold at all major supermarkets in Australia, same price as more common pastas. I like using them for mushroom pasta because I like to scoop up the pasta with the mushrooms.
But this recipe can be made with any pasta you choose. You won't need as much pasta because Orecchiette is smaller, I just feel you need more to have a decent sized bowl!
2. I urge you to use any mushroom other than the stock-standard white button mushrooms which have the least flavour! I used Swiss Brown.
3. Variations: Thyme also goes really well with this pasta because mushrooms + thyme = best mates. Sometimes I will add a splash of cream to the mushrooms, but it's not a make or break, just a "nice to have when you're feeling indulgent".
4. PS I provide a range for butter quantities because - well, the more the better. But the minimum is 2 tbsp of butter + 1 tbsp olive oil, otherwise the pasta starts to get dry. No need to measure accurately, just eye ball it!
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming 2 (generous!) servings.
Serving: 352g | Calories: 583kcal | Carbohydrates: 64.9g | Protein: 25.5g | Fat: 26.7g | Saturated Fat: 12.2g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 352mg | Potassium: 791mg | Fiber: 2.4g | Sugar: 4.2g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 230mg | Iron: 8.5mg