Peruvian Chicken with Garlic Butter Rice
Known as Peruvian Blackened Chicken ("Pollo a la Brasa"), this chicken is traditionally made on a rotisserie. As with every ethnic dish, there are many many versions but the common ingredients in all are soy sauce, garlic and paprika. I served this with a garlic butter rice on the side. The rice recipe makes enough for around 6 servings and you'll be thankful for this because it's so yummy, you will want leftovers for the next day!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 -5
- 2.5 lb / 1.2kg chicken pieces (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder OR 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp paprika powder (preferably smoked but plain is ok)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp lime juice , fresh (1 lime)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Garlic Butter Rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion , finely diced (white, brown, yellow)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups rice , long grain
- 2 cups chicken broth / stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 - 4 tbsp butter (Note 3)
- Salt and pepper
Place the Marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix until lump free.
Place the chicken in a ziplock bag (my preferred method) or non reactive bowl and coat with Marinade. Marinade for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight (24 hours) OR freeze it straight away, then it will marinade while it defrosts.
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Place chicken in a baking dish, skin side up. Slather leftover marinade onto the skin. Roast for 45 minutes or until deep burnt-red golden brown in colour.
Rest for 5 minutes before serving with Garlic Butter Rice and a green salad.
Garlic Butter Rice
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent and sweet.
Add rice and stir so the rice becomes translucent. Add broth and water, then cover and turn heat down to medium low.
Cook for 12 to 15 minutes until the liquid has JUST evaporated, then remove from stove and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
After resting, add the butter and stir the rice to fluff it up and disperse the butter.
1. This recipe is best made with skin on, bone-in chicken to achieve the beautiful golden brown surface with juicy flesh. I purchased mixed chicken pieces for this recipe. You can either cut up a whole chicken yourself or otherwise use bone in, skin on chicken thigh fillets and/or drumsticks - same baking time.
I don't recommend making this with breast fillets because it doesn't have skin which you need to get the beautiful golden crust on this.
But if you really want to make this with skinless bones breast fillets, add 1 tbsp olive oil into the marinade and bake for 25 minutes. For boneless thigh fillets, I'd recommend cooking this on the stove rather than baking - about 8 minutes. Also great for the BBQ.
2. Normal all purpose soy sauce (I use Kikkoman), not light or dark thick soy sauce.
3. I know this is stating the obvious....but the more butter you use, the more buttery the flavour. I recommend a minimum of 2 tbsp of butter for 2 cups of rice. I usually start with 2 tbsp - attempting restraint - but end up adding an extra dollop (around 3 tbsp).
4. This can be roasted (this recipe) OR cooked on the BBQ or stove (best to use thigh fillets).
5. This recipe is my interpretation after reading many recipes for Peruvian Chicken. I must've read 20+ so I can't list them all, but here are some of the ones I read:
- Peruvian Roasted Chicken with Yellow Potatoes - Pollo a la Brasa
- Peruvian Grilled Chicken
- The Food Lab: Peruvian-Style Whole Grilled Chicken
6. Nutrition for chicken assuming 5 servings. This does not take into account the fat that renders out during roasting that remains in the pan so the actual calories will be considerably less. I estimate it is between 60 and 100 calories less, assuming you don't drink the pan juices!
Nutrition per serving for the rice, assuming 6 servings (that's quite generous servings!).
Serving: 258g | Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.6g | Protein: 67.2g | Fat: 16.7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 211mg | Sodium: 915mg | Potassium: 539mg | Sugar: 0.7g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 4.1mg