Chorizo Baked Beans on Toast
Transform canned beans into an upmarket bistro style breakfast with the addition of chorizo! Baked beans is a breakfast staple in Australia and the UK. A great one takes hours to make. This is much faster to make than the traditional method, and the extra flavour oomph comes from the chorizo!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 - 4
- 6 1/2 oz / 200g chorizo (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , diced (white, brown or yellow)
- 14 oz / 420g canned cannellini beans (or any other white beans, such as navy), drained
- 14 oz / 420g can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar (brown, white or raw - or even honey)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Eggs , cooked to your liking sunny side up (or poached or boiled)
- Sourdough bread slices , toasted
Dice most of the chorizo, leaving some in slice form if you want to use them for garnish like I did.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over high heat.
Add the garlic and onions and cook for 2 minutes or until starting to turn translucent.
Add the chorizo (all of it) and saute until the chorizo is nicely browned.
Add the remaining Baked Beans ingredients. Bring to simmer, then turn it down to medium low and leave to bubble away gently for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add a splash of water if it gets too thick to your liking.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
1. Chorizo comes raw and cured. Cured chorizo is like salami - you can eat it as is. Raw chorizo is like a sausage, but much firmer. It must be cooked before eating. I like to use the raw chorizo, which is also usually better value than the cured ones.
6.5 oz / 200g chorizo is about 1 1/2 standard size chorizos that you get in Australia at delis. I know it's weird to say 1 1/2 chorizo - but I really found 1 was not quite enough and 2 was more than enough!
2. Nutrition per serving assuming 4 servings.
Serving: 362g | Calories: 503kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 25.5g | Fat: 28.3g | Saturated Fat: 9.3g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 1906mg | Potassium: 884mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6.3g | Vitamin A: 2050IU | Vitamin C: 39.6mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 5.9mg