Double Cheese and Bacon Rolls
Not only topped but also STUFFED with bacon and cheese! Just like the ones from Baker's Delight (bakery chain in Australia) - but better because there's a double hit of bacon and cheese! Directions provided for Active Dry Yeast and Instant Yeast.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 sachet Active Dry Yeast (7g, 1/4oz, 2 1/4 tsp (US, AUS), 2 tsp UK) (see Note 1 for Instant Yeast)
- 2 tsp caster sugar (or granulated or super fine white sugar)
- 1 cup warm water (Not boiling. Just tap water is fine)
- 3 cups bread flour (Note 2)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or sub with any other oil)
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 300 g / 10 oz bacon , diced
- 3.5 oz / 100g provolone cheese , cut into 8 slices (or any other melting cheese) (Note 3)
- 1 cup grated cheese (tasty, cheddar or any other cheese that melts)
Combine the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl and mix until yeast dissolves. Set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes until frothy. (Note 4)
Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Then either use the dough hook on your mixer and mix for about 3 minutes on medium low, or knead by hand on a lightly floured surface (about 100 kneads), until the dough is smooth and elastic. It should come away from the side of the bowl and shouldn't stick. If it is too sticky, add some extra flour.
Place the dough in a bowl and cover loosely. (Note 5) Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Note 4)
Meanwhile, sauté half the bacon in a non stick pan over high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
Spray baking tray with oil.
Punch down the dough, then cut into 8 pieces.
Get one piece of dough and flatten it. Take a piece of provolone cheese and fold it in half to form a square. Top with 1 tbsp of cooked bacon. Fold the edges in to "wrap" it, shaping it into a round shape. Seal then flip over and place on baking try. Flatten with your hand to around 2cm / 4/5" thick. Repeat with remaining dough.
Brush with egg mixture. Top each with 1 1/2 tbsp grated cheese and the uncooked bacon.
Cover with clean tea towel and set aside for 30 minutes or so in a warm place until it has risen by around 50% (Note 6).
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Best served warm, so the filling is gooey!
1. I use this this Active Dry Yeast by Tandaco which you can get from Coles and Woolworths. This Active Dry Yeast from Red Star seems common in the US.
You can use Instant Yeast instead of Active Dry Yeast. Use 1 3/4 tsp (US, AUS), 1 1/2 tsp (UK), 5 1/4 g, 1/5 oz.
To make this using Instant Yeast, skip step 1 and just add the Instant Yeast to the flour. Also, halve the dough rising times in steps 3 and 10.
2. Bread made using ordinary flour instead of bread flour tastes sort of "yeasty". It isn't pleasant. Bread flour can be purchased at supermarkets and costs only a bit more than plain flour.
Note also that there is little difference between US and AUS cup measures. i.e. 1 US cup = 0.95 AUS cup which is close enough for this recipe to work. I made this using both US and AUS measurements and didn't notice a difference at all.
3. I like to use provolone cheese because it has melting qualities similar to mozzarella but has more flavour. Make sure you get Provolone Piccante (which feels like Monterey Jack, swiss cheese) not Provolone Dolce (which is hard like parmesan).
4. In winter, I turn the oven on for 2 minutes, then turn it off. I use this as the "warm place" for the yeast-water mixture to froth and for the bread to rise. I have also been known to use my dryer :) Just turn it on very briefly, then place the dough in it!
5. If it's a deep bowl, just cover with a clean tea towel. If it's shallow, cover loosely with cling wrap lightly sprayed with oil.
6. For the second rise, it won't double in size because of the filling weighing down the bottom half of the dough.
7. I was pleasantly surprised by the nutrition analysis. I was sure it would be MUCH higher in calories!
Serving: 121g | Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.1g | Protein: 26.5g | Fat: 26.5g | Saturated Fat: 10.8g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1363mg | Potassium: 318mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 1.3g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Calcium: 210mg | Iron: 3.1mg