Spicy Italian Breakfast Roll Ups (Breakfast On The Go / Mini Taquitos)
Great food on the go, freezable and microwavable. These are made using soft tacos (small tortillas) so they are a great size for eating on the move with your hands. The tortillas bake crisp but do not crumble and the filling holds together well when you bite into it. The scrambled egg is flavoured so it is not the usual pale yellow colour, it is a slightly brown colour.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz / 300g spicy Italian Sausages (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion , diced (brown, yellow, white, spanish)
- 3 birds eye chillis , sliced (adjust amount to taste - Note 2)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar, any other flavoured cheese that melts works fine)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , thinly sliced (or sub with 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs - basil, parsley, oregano)
- 8 small tortillas , corn or flour (around 6" / 12 cm rounds)
- Olive oil , for brushing
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Spray a baking tray with oil, or line with parchment/baking paper.
Remove sausages from casings.
Heat oil in a large fry pan over high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into chunky pieces, until nicely browned. Remove from pan.
Turn stove down to medium high and melt butter in the same pan (don't clean the pan). Add the onion, chills and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and a light golden brown.
Add the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir slowly, not vigorously, using a wooden spoon until the eggs are "holding together" but are still wet - about 5 minutes.
Remove pan from the stove, stir through the sausage, cheese and basil leaves.
Divide filling between the tortillas.
Roll up the tortillas and place on the baking tray, seam side down. Brush with olive oil (optional), then bake for 15 to 20 minutes until light golden and slightly crisp.
Serve while warm.
To freeze, allow to cool then place in the freezer. To reheat, defrost then reheat in the oven (to make it crisp again) or in the microwave (the tortilla will reheat soft so it will be more like a burrito).
1. The tastiness of this depends on the sausages you get. Real Italian sausages are "chunky" in texture, you can see white bits of fat and they have great flavour which is used as the "seasoning" in this. Better value sausages have fillings to bulk it out so you won't get the same result. If you use the cheaper sausages, I suggest upping the flavours by adding some extra flavours like chilli, paprika and Italian seasoning.
2. The spiciness of the chilli reduces if you freeze it so if you like spicy, add more chillies.
3. Nutrition per roll up. You can reduce the calories by using lean Italian Sausages - see below.
Nutrition per roll up assuming you make this using Lean Turkey Italian Sausages.
Serving: 120g | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 13.7g | Fat: 21.6g | Saturated Fat: 8.7g | Cholesterol: 166mg | Sodium: 626mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 1.4mg