One Pan Spanish Chicken with Chorizo, Tomato and Potatoes
A one-pan dinner, chock full of flavour thanks to the chorizo! The active prep / cook time is only around 20 minutes so this is a super fast meal for midweek!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 4 chicken thigh fillets , skin on and bone in (about 8oz/250g each) (Note 1)
- 8 - 12 baby potatoes , scrubbed and skin on, halved (or 3 medium potatoes, cut into 4) (Note 2)
- 2 chorizo (5 - 6 oz / 150 - 200g in total), cut into 1/3cm / 1/8" slices (Note 3)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into slices
- 1 small red onion , halved and cut into slices (or ordinary onion)
- 1 can (15oz/400g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (8oz / 250g) (Note 4)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (Note 5)
- 1 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne or chilli powder (adjust to taste for spiciness)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Combine the Rub ingredients in a small bowl. Slather over the chicken.
Boil or microwave the potatoes until slightly undercooked.
Heat the oil in a large, deep fry pan or oven proof casserole dish over high heat.
Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook unit light brown - about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Then turn and cook the other side until a slightly deeper brown - about the same time. Remove into a big bowl.
Add the chorizo and fry until light brown on each side - about 1 minute (each side). Remove into the same bowl as the chicken.
If the pan is looking dry (depends on fattiness of chicken and chorizo), add 1 tbsp of olive oil. I did not need this.
Add the garlic, capsicum (bell pepper) and onion and sauté for 2 minutes until the capsicum is slightly charred. It will be extra charred from the dark brown residue from the chorizo and chicken.
Add the canned tomatoes and oregano and stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Then add the potato, chicken, chorizo and cherry tomatoes. Nestle the chicken in so it is half submerged in the tomato.
Bring to simmer, then cover with a lid (I use a lid from a large pot) or foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and dark brown.
Serve, garnished with fresh oregano leaves if desired.
1. I like to make this with bone in, skin on chicken thigh fillets. But it can be substituted with boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets or drumsticks. Breast will also work but is not as juicy.
2. You can use as much or as little potato in this as you want.
3. This is made using the cured chorizo you get from delis. You can use raw chorizo (it looks like ordinary raw sausages, but much more red) but it will be harder to slice because it is like slicing raw sausages.
4. The pan I used was a tad too small so I could only squeeze in about 1/2 a punnet of tomatoes. I would have preferred to use a whole punnet.
5. You can substitute the lemon with wine or sherry vinegar or any other light vinegar. Otherwise, just use half ordinary vinegar (even balsamic is ok) and half water.
6. There's no denying that this is not the lowest calorie meal in the world but as the rule generally goes, flavour = calories! 171 calories of the 773 calories is from the chorizo because they are like sausages - they are high in fat (which equals flavour!). You can use low fat chorizo if you can find them. Or use skinless, boneless chicken (see below for nutrition information).
This is the nutrition information if this is made with skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets.
Serving: 520g | Calories: 773kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.4g | Protein: 50.7g | Fat: 45.2g | Saturated Fat: 14.4g | Cholesterol: 201mg | Sodium: 1690mg | Potassium: 904mg | Fiber: 8.4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 6.3mg