Cornbread recipe (creamed corn)
Recipe video above. This cornbread is super moist, not too sweet and not crumbly! It's a Northern style corn bread that's super quick and easy to make. Also see Cornbread Muffins!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 10 - 12
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal , medium grind (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (plain / all purpose)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 1/2 cup melted butter , unsalted
- 2 eggs , lightly whisked
- 3/4 cups (185ml) milk
- 1 - 2 tbsp butter , melted (for greasing & brushing)
Place a 26cm/10" castiron skillet in the oven and preheat to 220C / 425F while making the batter.
Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Place Wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix until combined.
Pour Wet into the Dry ingredients, mix until combined.
Take the skillet out of the oven. Add the 1 tbsp of butter and swirl it around to coat the base and halfway up the sides (or use a brush to do this)
Pour the batter in, smooth surface.
Turn oven down to 190°C/375°F, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is light golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (or when you poke the top, it springs back).
Cool 15 minutes in the skilet before tunring out onto serving platter or cutting board.
Best served warm! It can be served in the skillet or turned out. Serve with butter and honey as well, to take it over the top!
1. Cornmeal - Sold in packets labelled as "Polenta" in Australia.
2. Skillet - I used a 26cm/10" cast iron skillet. You can use a similar size cake tin or loaf pan.
3. Make head - This can be made ahead and reheated in the oven at 180C/350F for around 10 minutes. Or microwave briefly to warm through. Do not leave in skillet overnight - it will take on a metallic flavour.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1.6mg