Super Quick Chicken Dinner: Crumbed Chicken with Mashed Potatoes
With few clever shortcuts and a bit of multi tasking, you'll get this complete dinner on the table in 15 minutes. The crunchy crumbed chicken is sensational. The secret is mayonnaise which is used to make the panko breadcrumbs stick to the chicken, plus it provides the seasoning.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 400 g / 13oz chicken breast minute steaks (4 pieces x 100g/3oz each) (Note 1)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise , preferably whole egg (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese , grated
- 6 tbsp panko breadcrumbs (Note 3)
Fast Mashed Potato
- 2 medium potatoes (Note 4), not peeled
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (full fat or low fat)
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 large cucumber (or 2 small cucumbers)
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (or 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper , to taste
Turn grill/broiler on high and place the shelf about 20cm/8" from the heat source.
Place potatoes in the microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes. Then turn the potatoes over and cook on high for a further 2 minutes (or until cooked). Squeeze the potatoes to check if they are cooked.
Mix the mayonnaise and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
Place the chicken in a large oven proof fry pan (Note 5). Using the back of a spoon, spread the mayonnaise mixture over each chicken breast.
Sprinkle panko breadcrumbs over each piece of chicken. Use your fingers to pat the panko so it sticks to the chicken. (Note 6)
Place chicken under the grill/broiler for 8 minutes, or until just cooked through and the crumbs are golden. Check it once at around 6 minutes and rotate the fry pan if necessary so the crumb cooks evenly all over. When cooked, set aside to rest for a few minutes before serving.
While the chicken is cooking, get the potatoes out of the microwave (use a dishcloth). Cut each potato in half, then use a dessert spoon to scoop the flesh out into a bowl. Add milk, butter, salt and pepper. Use a potato masher to mash. Add more milk to achieve the desired consistency.
Salad: Use a potato peeler to make ribbons from the cucumber. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Pile the cucumber and cherry tomatoes onto a plate, then drizzle over lemon juice, olive oil and scatter with salt and pepper.
To Serve: Place mashed potato on each plate then top with the chicken. Drizzle with extra olive oil and garnish with finely chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve the Salad on the side.
1. Chicken breast minute steaks are just chicken breast sliced horizontally and pounded slightly into thin steaks about 1cm/1/3" thick. If you can't find it or if you prefer to save on cost, just get chicken breast and slice them yourself. You will need 2 x 200g/7oz chicken breasts, then slice each breast to make 2 minute steaks.
2. Whole egg mayonnaise is one of the types of mayonnaise you can get at the supermarket. It will be written on the label. It is usually no more expensive than ordinary mayonnaise.
3. Panko are breadcrumbs that are slightly larger than normal breadcrumbs. They create a thicker and crunchier crust. If you don't have panko, ordinary breadcrumbs are fine.
4. If you are in Australia, use the brushed potatoes (i.e. the ones with dirt on them) or washed white potatoes you can buy from any supermarket. If you are in the US, use Russet, Yukon gold, or white potatoes.
5. The reason I use a fry pan for this is because it retains heat better than a baking tray so when you put the chicken under the grill/broiler, as the fry pan heats up this helps cook the underside of the chicken.
Make sure you use an oven proof fry pan (i.e.. not one with a plastic handle because it might melt when you put it under the grill/broiler).
6. Some of the panko will probably spill on the fry pan. If you do this step more carefully you probably won't need all the panko specified in the ingredients.
7. Nutrition per serving.
Serving: 691g | Calories: 659kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 43.9g | Fat: 26.8g | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 1697mg | Fiber: 7.8g | Sugar: 12.1g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 91.6mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 4.9mg