Mini Apple Pie Wonton Cups
When you're pressed for time, these mini apple pies are great to prepare for a crowd! All the elements can be prepared ahead then it takes just minutes to assemble to serve.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 18 wonton wrappers
- Oil spray
Apple Pie Filling
- 5 cups small diced , peeled Granny Smith apples (around 1.5 lb / 800g, 5 medium size apples)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar (adjust to taste, depends on tartness of apples)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (icing sugar), sifted
- Few drops vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 390F/200C.
Mould wonton wrappers into standard size muffin tin / cupcake trays. Spray lightly with oil (this helps them bake evenly golden) then bake for 10 to 15 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and let cool in the muffin tins.
Meanwhile, place Apple Pie Filling ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to simmer, then turn the heat down to medium. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apple is softened, around 8 minutes. There should be no liquid left, just a syrupy coating on the apple. Adjust sweetness to taste. The amount of sugar required differs depending on the tartness/sweetness of the apples. Remove from heat and let cool until it is warm.
Meanwhile, whip cream and powdered sugar (icing sugar) until soft peaks form.
To serve, spoon still warm Apple Pie Filling into wonton cups and top with a dollop of cream. Serve immediately.
1. You could use canned Apple Pie Filling instead of fresh apples. You will only need to cook the filling for a few minutes just to bring the flavours together and warm the filling through because the apple will already be soft and doesn't need to be cooked to soften.
2. To make ahead:
- cool the wonton cups then store in an airtight container for up to 2 days;
- whip the cream, cover then store in the refrigerator overnight until required; and
- cool the Apple Pie Filling, cover then store in the fridge up to overnight. If excess water pools on the surface, scoop it off then reheat in the microwave until warm. Then spoon into the wonton cups and top with cream.
3. Nutrition per serving.
Serving: 82g | Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 27.6g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 2.1g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 7.4g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1.3mg