Meatloaf Cupcakes With Mashed Potato
Everything tastes better in miniature form! These Meatloaf Cupcakes are made extra irresistible by piling on mashed potato. These freeze very well. They are also great for hiding vegetables. I only added grated carrot, but you can mix in whatever vegetables you want. Finely chopped spinach or cabbage would blend in well, as would grated zucchini.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 lb / 500g beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 onion , grated (brown, white or yellow)
- 2 small carrots , grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 1 cup panko (or breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 cup milk
- Tomato ketchup or sauce
- Parsley , finely chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Spray 8 holes of a muffin tin.
Grate the onion and carrot straight into a large bowl.
Add remaining meatloaf ingredients and use your hands to mix and combine well.
Scoop up 1/2 cup of mince and use your hands to form a rough ball shape. Press into the muffin tin. The surface should be a slight dome shape.
Repeat with remaining mince. It should make about 8.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until browned on top. Remove from oven.
Peel and dice the potato. Steam or boil until soft but not waterlogged.
Drain, then add butter and 1/2 cup of milk. Mash using a potato masher until smooth or to your liking. Add extra milk if you need it. The mash needs to be creamy but stiff enough to hold its shape when piped or piled onto the Meatloaf Cupcakes.
Smear a dollop of tomato ketchup on the Meatloaf Cupcakes.
Top with mashed potato, either by piping it or just dolloping it on with a spoon.
Serve with a sprinkle of parsley, if using.
1. After topping with mashed potato, you could bake it for 10 minutes to brown it, or place it until the grill /broiler for a few minutes. But I like the mashed potato without the crunchy surface – more like the icing you actually get on cupcakes!
2. To freeze, let the cupcakes cool then a fine skin will form on the mashed potato so the cling wrap won't stick to it. Wrap in cling wrap and place in freezer. To reheat, thaw then reheat in the microwave or oven.
3. Nutrition per serving.
Serving: 190g | Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.9g | Protein: 23.3g | Fat: 7.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 588mg | Potassium: 592mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 5.2g | Vitamin A: 2300IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 12.1mg