These mushrooms are a great side for 4, a light meal for 2 or as an appetiser to pass around at a party because they are small enough to be eaten whole. They are best served warm but still delicious at room temperature. Refer to the notes for directions to prepare ahead. Love loading it up with great garlic flavour!
1. This recipe needs to be made with panko breadcrumbs, not ordinary breadcrumbs. Ordinary breadcrumbs are too fine and will make a dense filling. If you don't have panko breadcrumbs, then either process very stale bread to make your own. Or if you won't have stale bread on hand, you can toast 2 pieces of white sandwich bread until very golden, then finely chop to make your own breadcrumbs (or whizz in a processor).
2. I made this with thyme because thyme goes so well with mushrooms. Oregano would also go great, or mixed herbs. I don't recommend rosemary - the flavour is too strong and will overpower the mushroom.
3. To make ahead, pan fry the panko filling, let it cool then store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Store the mushrooms in the paper bag you purchased them in. When ready to cook, toss the mushrooms in oil, fill the mushroom caps with the panko filling and bake.
4. This recipe is not suitable for freezing. It is also not great to reheat as the mushrooms go soggy.
5. Nutrition analysis for 4 servings.