A cross between a muffin, pull apart bread and french toast! Great food on the go that's perfect for feeding an army. You can even freeze them!
1. This recipe works equally well with fresh or stale bread. If using fresh bread, it is best to bake within 30 minutes of combined the egg mixture with the bread, otherwise I find it gets too soggy. If using stale bread you can make ahead the night before and leave it overnight in the fridge.
2. You can also make this with pre sliced sandwich bread rather than a block. The bread cubes will just be smaller.
3. To make ahead, make the bread-egg mixture and bacon the night before (keep them separate). Then assemble in the morning and bake.
4. These can be frozen after baking. Thaw, then bake in the oven to crisp the outside again (about 5 minutes at 180C/350F). If you microwave it, they are soggy on the outside which is not as nice.
5. Nutrition excludes maple syrup. Because if I included the amount of maple syrup I use, I think the Nutrition calculator would explode.