Recipe video above. This is a quick and easy yet amazing way to make "roast chicken" in a slow cooker. It's so moist and juicy inside, it tastes like it’s been brined or marinated. VERY forgiving recipe!
1. Chicken - Remove giblets or anything else inside. If frozen, thaw completely. See below for cook times for different weights.
2. Herbs - can sub with other dried herbs of choice OR use finely chopped fresh but double quantity. Can also stuff a bunch of herbs inside!
3. Alternative to rack - use big sheet foil, scrunch into “rope” then form ring. Or 4 balls of foil. Aim is to elevate chicken out of liquids that it produces while cooking.
4. Other Cook Methods:Pressure cook
- Add ½ cup water and pressure cook for 24 minutes on high (depressure naturally 10 min before releasing valve).Oven -
Follow directions in this juicy Roast Chicken recipe.
5. Slow Cooker Cook Times:
1-1.5kg / 2-3 lb - 4.5 hrs on low
1.75-2.25kg / 3.5-4.5 lb - 5 hrs on low
2.5kg / 5lb - 6 hrs on low
For almost "all apart" meat, add 1 to 2 hours onto the cook times. Flesh is still juicy!
Pressure Cooker: 6 minutes per 500g/1lb of chicken.
5. Prep Ahead / Storage: Prepare chicken with rub under and on skin. Refrigerate up to 48 hours then slow cook per recipe. Cooked chicken keeps for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
6. Nutrition per serving assumes all sauce is consumed.