1. Peanut Butter
- commercial spread is what I use in this recipe ie sweetened. If you use natural peanut butter (ie pure peanuts, not added sugar etc), you'll need to add about 2 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt into the dressing.
2. Toasted Sesame Oil
is dark brown and has a more intense sesame flavour, Untoasted is yellow (not common in Australia).
3. Soy Sauce
- all purpose or light soy. Don't use dark soy or kecap manis, flavour is too intense.
- I use thin hokkien noodles because I like the slippery, slightly chewy texture in this noodle salad, the type that is sold in the fridge section that just requires soaking in hot water. But any noodles work fine here - rice, egg, fresh, dried, even ramen (use 3 cakes, toss seasoning). Just prepare per packet.
5. Other Vegetable options
- anything that won't go watery limp once dressed:
- Shredded Cabbage (white, green, red)
- Zucchini batons (yes, raw, it's great!)
- Snow peas, thinly sliced raw broccoli, red onion, corn
- Lightly blanched asparagus, snap peas, cauliflower
lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato
from a Nigella Lawson recipe.
3 as a meal, or 4 to 5 as a side.