Shredded Chicken Enchilada Soup
10 minutes prep, then throw everything into your slow cooker and come home to the ultimate comfort food. Excessive toppings are a must!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 4 -5
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion , diced
- 1 large red bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups chicken broth / stock
- 2 x 15 oz / 400 g cans black beans (see notes)
- 2 x 15 oz / 400 g cans sweet corn
- 700 g tomato passata (Note 1)
- 3/4 - 1 tsp salt + black pepper
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder (or 2 tsp of one of them)
- 1 - 2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Toppings of Choice
- Cilantro/coriander to garnish
- Sour cream , grated cheese, avocado, tortilla or corn chips
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large fry pan (slow cooker method) or pot (stove method) and sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 5 minutes until translucent.
Add spices and saute for 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth, turn up the heat and bring to boil.
SLOW COOKER: Pour it into the slow cooker, making sure you scrape in all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add all other ingredients in the slow cooker. Slow cook for 4 to 6 hours on low.
STOVE: Add all other ingredients + 1 cup water. Bring to simmer, lower heat to medium low and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until chicken is tender enough to shred with 2 forks.
Both methods: Remove the chicken onto a plate and use 2 forks to shred it (it will fall apart easily).
Return chicken into the soup.
Adjust the seasoning to your taste with extra salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls, and garnish with toppings of your choice.
1. Tomato passata is pureed plain tomatoes that is the consistency of a thick, smooth liquid, not like a paste or sauce. In Australia it is found in the pasta section of supermarkets and costs around the same as canned tomatoes.
You can substituted with 1 large can (28oz / 800g) crushed tomatoes + 2 tbsp tomato paste + 1 tbsp brown sugar]
2. You can use red kidney beans instead of black beans, or 1/2 cup of dried beans.
3. Especially for slow cooked dishes, always under season during cooking, then adjust the seasoning at the end, firstly because you never know exactly how much liquid you will end up with and also the saltiness of canned ingredients like beans differs from brand to brand, and the slow cooking process draws out the saltiness into the soup.
4. These nutrition facts assume you assume chicken breast and it serves 6. It does not include toppings.
Serving: 823g | Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 1980mg | Potassium: 2153mg | Fiber: 15.4g | Sugar: 8.7g | Vitamin A: 4200IU | Vitamin C: 103.1mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 10.6mg