RECIPE VIDEO ABOVE. Juicy strips of beef smothered in a sour cream mushroom gravy - a quick dinner everyone will love! KEY STEPS: Sear beef super quickly for maximum juiciness and use a large skillet (for quick sear + fast sauce reduction).
1. Best cut of beef for stroganoff - use decent to good quality quick cooking cut of beef such as:
- boneless rib eye (aka scotch fillet)
- boneless sirloin, sirloin steak tips
- beef tenderloin
I don't recommend: beef round steak (aka topside), skirt, flat iron, hanger.
Pork can also be used - pork stroganoff is found in Russia too.
2. Flour - any is fine here, I use plain white flour (all purpose). Or use 1 tbsp cornstarch / cornflour (for Gluten free stroganoff sauce)
3. Serving - I like serving this with short pastas, rather than long pastas. Easier to eat. It's also great with mashed potato, rice, polenta - anything that's suitable to slop up all that gravy!
4. Sauce thickness: You can make sauce thinner with touch of water if you want, but DO NOT keep simmering to thicken once the beef is added, it will overcook the beef.
5. Storage - 3 to 4 days in the fridge, also freezes fine. Thaw fully then reheat carefully, being sure not to overcook the beef!
6. Nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings (serves 4 hearty servings or 5 sensible servings), excludes pasta.