Recipe video above. Meatloaf is so much more than a giant hunk of ground beef in a loaf shape. It should ooze with flavour, be moist and tender yet not crumble apart when sliced. And the caramelised glaze is the crowning glory!
1. Panko breadcrumbs are larger than normal breadcrumbs so they make the meatloaf softer. Nowadays they are found in most supermarkets here in Australia, usually in both the Asian section and alongside normal breadcrumbs.
2. Bouillon cubes adds so much better flavour to the meatloaf compared to just plain salt. Best subs: chicken or veg bouillon or stock powder. Salt sub: 1.5 tsp salt.
3. Pan size: My loaf pan is 23 x 13 x 6 cm / 9 x 5 x 2.5". As long as you have one about this size, this recipe will work fine though it might be flatter or taller.
4. Grated onion - a highly effective and efficient technique to make meatloaf more tender (soaked breadcrumbs puff up when baked) and adds savoury onion flavour without the need to separately fry diced onion.
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming 8 servings.