Recipe VIDEO above. This is a wonderful, simple tea cake with bright lemon flavours. It's beautifully moist and keeps for days. I love how it's made in one bowl with just a whisk, and it's quick to prepare! Glazed with a lemon glaze - or try my quick cream cheese frosting (recipe in notes).
1. Any plain, thick yoghurt will be fine for this. Full fat is better, but low fat will also work. I don't recommend zero fat yoghurt, it tends to be too thin and the purpose of yoghurt is to add wetness to the batter while keeping it thick which is why the cake is so moist.
Sour cream (light or full fat) can also be used.
2. Lemon Slice decoration - cut 2 thin lemon slices. Then cut a slit into the centre. Twist and place on the cake. Twist the other slice in the opposite direction and place on the cake, overlapping with the first slice.
3. Quick Cream Cheese Frosting (pictured in post): Use 200g/6 oz SPREADABLE Cream Cheese (comes in tubs, not blocks) and mix with 2 cups icing sugar / powdered sugar + 2 tbsp lemon juice. Use a wooden spoon to mix well then spread on cake.
4. DIFFERENT MEASURES IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES: Tablespoon and cup measures differ slightly between some countries around the world. The main differences are US measures vs rest of the world. For most recipes, the difference is not material enough to affect the recipe. For baking recipes, it can be the difference between success and failure. Luckily, this particular recipe is actually rather forgiving so the difference in measures does not affect it so there is no need to convert. Exception: Japan - please use weights provided, not Japanese cups.
5. STORAGE: Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days, it stays really moist. The glaze sweats into the cake slightly so you get a similar effect to those coke syrup cakes / poke cakes where you pour sweet syrup over the cake to soak into it and this also helps keep it moist. If it's crazy hot where you are (Dec - Feb in Australia), keep it in the fridge after 24 hours (because mould loves moisture + heat and this cake is very moist :) )