Creamy Carrot Soup
Recipe video above. Carrot soup is incredibly delicious - sweet, savoury and creamy. And I LOVE the colour! The bacon makes a terrific flavour base here, but you can skip it (Note 1).
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 4 slices streaky bacon (~120g/4oz)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 5 large carrots , cut into 1.5 cm / 3/5" chunks
- 1 litre / 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml cream
- 3/4 cup / 185ml milk (any fat %)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme or chopped parsley
- Cream , for swirling
- Crusty bread
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden. Remove from pot, cool then chop.
Add onion and garlic into the bacon drippings. Cook for 2 minutes until onion is translucent but not browned.
Add carrots and stir well to coat the carrot in the oil.
Add broth, then stir. Cover with lid, adjust heat so it is simmering energetically (about medium). Cook for 20 - 25 minutes until carrot is very soft.
Remove lid, turn heat off. Use a stick blender to puree the carrot (or cool slightly and do in blender).
Add cream, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Adjust thickness with milk (or water), if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with swirls of cream, bacon and parsley or thyme if desired. Serve with crusty bread.
1. If you skip the bacon, I would suggest adding something else to compensate for loss of flavour. Suggestions: 1 tsp of ground coriander or other spice of choice (stir into soup) or 2 tsp finely chopped ginger (saute with onion and garlic).
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings. If you skip the bacon, it reduces to 200 calories. If you also skip the cream, it reduces to 99 calories.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 379mg | Potassium: 640mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 13360IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 0.9mg