Lemon Chicken Salad
Recipe video above. A substantial salad with a lemon marinated chicken, dressed with a dill lemon dressing with a touch of honey. You'll love how the dressing does double duty as the marinade! Bacon is optional - totally delicious without, but always fabulous with. Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as a side.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time23 mins
Servings: 2 - 4 people
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large chicken breast , halved horizontally* OR 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , extra
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 8 cups cos/romaine lettuce , chopped (or other lettuce of choice, Note 2)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 medium avocado , quartered and sliced thickly
- 1/2 red onion , small, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup corn kernels , fresh or canned drained
- 120g/ 4 oz bacon , cooked then chopped (optional)
Place chicken in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp Dressing, 1 tbsp extra lemon juice, plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well. Marinate minimum 20 minutes up to 24 hours.
Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat (or use bacon fat if you use bacon in this!). Add chicken and cook. Halved breasts: 2 minutes each side. Thigh: 4 minutes each side.
Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil for 3 minutes. Slice.
Add dill into remaining dressing. Shake.
Place remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Top with chicken.
Drizzle dressing all over. Crumble over bacon if using. Serve immediately!
* To do this, place chicken on cutting board, place hand on top. Use knife to slice horizontally through the chicken so you end up with 2 thinner pieces.
1. If dill isn't to your taste, use coriander/cilantro or chives instead, or even a pinch of dried herbs.
2. I use about 2/3 of a head of cos lettuce.
3. Meal prep: Use chicken thigh for best results (it's juicier reheated). Prepare dressing, marinade and cook chicken per recipe, do not slice. Once cool, store in airtight container. Prepare remaining salad ingredients, store in separate container, store dressing in jar. Keep for up to 3 days. To serve, warm chicken in microwave then slice and assemble salad per recipe.
4. Rotisserie Chicken option: Chop or shred store bought rotisserie chicken. Toss through with 1.5 tbsp Dressing, warm gently (makes flavour infuse better). Toss through salad.
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming 2 servings.