Recipe video above.
Like homemade granola
- in cookie form! A satisfying grab 'n run breakfast that tastes like your favourite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
. Same chewy and moist inside (thanks to the mashed dates!), but not as crispy. And these happen to be healthy! Customisable - see notes.
1. Sweetness: Can use anything sweet in liquid form eg agave, golden syrup. 3 tbsp makes these cookies a bit sweet but not like normal cookies. Use 4 tbsp if you have a sweet tooth or reduce to 1 tbsp if you don't have a sweet tooth (still get sweet from the dried fruits)
2. Oil: Can use any oil, use a flavourless or neutral one. Or melted butter or margarine.
3. Add Ins: Use 1 1/4 cups in total of your choice of flaked or chopped nuts, desiccated coconut and chopped dried fruit (or small fruit like raisins, cranberries, blueberries) - or CHOC CHIPS!! If you skip the coconut, use at least 1/4 of fairly finely chopped nuts (to ensure cookie holds together properly).
4. Almond meal: aka Almond Flour. Can also use hazelnut meal/flour. Do not sub with normal flour - makes cookie cardboardy.
5. Flavourings: Use whatever you like. For spice: all spice, nutmeg, cardamom, mixed spice. Essence: orange blossom, lemon, caramel, coconut, almond.
6. GLUTEN FREE option - ensure the oats are gluten free.
7. STORAGE: good for 5 days in a super airtight container, though the outside of the cookies do soften, like any homemade cookie. Haven't tried freezing yet - would love to know if anyone does!
8. Nutrition per cookie (6 big chunky cookies):