One Pot Chinese Chicken and Rice
Recipe video above. It's like fried rice and Chinese chicken made in one pot! If you can't find Chinese broccoli, see notes for how to make with other vegetable options. A terrific quick and easy dinner!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp ginger , grated
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 500 g / 1lb chicken thighs , skinless boneless, halved (Note 1)
- 1 big bunch Chinese Broccoli with thick stems (Note 2)
- 1 cup white rice (180g) (uncooked, Note 3)
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken broth , low salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or Mirin (Note 4)
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce (or sub with Hoisin)
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce (Note 5)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (or black)
- Sliced green onion
- Sesame seeds
Mix Sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes to overnight.
Cut Chinese broccoli stems cut into 2.5 cm/1" pieces, leafy part 5cm/2.5cm pieces.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess marinade - RESERVE marinade!
Cook both sides until golden - about 90 seconds on each side, don't let them burn! Remove chicken onto plate.
Add a touch of oil if pot is dry. Add onion, garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes until tinged with gold.
Add rice, stir to coat grains in oil. Add broth, reserved Marinade and Chinese broccoli stems. Stir.
Place chicken across the top, pour in juices pooled on plate. Cover, bring to simmer then lower heat to medium.
Cook for 12 -15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed (tilt pot to check).
Remove from heat. Working quickly, scatter Chinese broccoli leaves across surface, clamp lid back on.
Rest for 10 minutes. Remove lid, toss rice and serve, garnished with sesame seeds and green onions. A dollop of your favourite chilli paste wouldn't go astray either!
1. Chicken breast can also be used but try to marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight (will keep it juicier). Cut each breast in half horizontally to make 2 thin steaks then cut those in half (to make similar shape to halved thighs).
2. Chinese Broccoli is also known as Gai Lan. Try to get ones with thick stems so they don't become overly soft when cooked in with the rice. If yours are thin, scatter them on top of the chicken instead of stirring into the liquid.
Other Asian Greens - like pak choy, bok choi etc Cut per recipe but scatter across top of chicken, do not stir into liquid (because they're more delicate so will cook to mush if mixed in liquid).
Frozen or fresh diced veg - stir into liquid and cook per recipe.
Cauliflower - stir into liquid and cook per recipe.
3. Rice - Any ordinary white rice is suitable for this recipe. Long grain, medium grain, short grain, Japanese rice, sushi rice, jasmine, basmati. Long grain, jasmine and basmati will yield the fluffiest rice, the others are a bit stickier as they are supposed to be.
Recipe is NOT suitable for: paella or risotto rice.
Brown rice will require the following adjustments: Add extra 0.5 cup of water, do not add stems or chicken in. Cover and cook rice for 30 minutes on low. Stir through stems and top with chicken. Cover and cook 10 minutes, remove from heat, follow recipe to wilt leafy part and stand 10 minutes before serving,
4. Chinese Cooking wine - read here for more information. Sold at Asian grocery stores and the Asian section of some supermarkets (Coles, Woolies in Australia). Dry sherry and mirin are excellent substitutes. For a non alcoholic version, leave it out and add 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder into Sauce.
5. Dark soy sauce has a more intense flavour and colour than light soy sauce and ordinary all purpose soy sauce. This is what stains the rice in this recipe. It can be substituted for light or all purpose soy sauce.
6. Nutrition per serving. To reduce salt, use low sodium soy sauce.
One Pot Chinese Chicken and Rice
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 975IU20%
Vitamin C 138.1mg167%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 1002mg | Potassium: 970mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 975IU | Vitamin C: 138.1mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 2.9mg