Persian Love Cake
Recipe video above. A beautiful Persian cake with a lovely subtle citrus flavour and hint of spice. For an authentic Persian flavour, don't skip the rosewater! They differ in strength so start with a small amount and adjust to your taste - too much can be overpowering.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 2 cups (200g) almond meal (almond flour)
- 1 1/2 cups (165g) semolina
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 120g / 8 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) brown sugar , packed
- 3/4 cup (150g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250g) plain yoghurt
- Zest of one orange
- 50g / 2 oz raw pistachios , chopped or slivered (or almonds)
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (70g) white sugar
- 1 tsp+ rosewater (adjust to taste, start with less)
Preheat oven 180C/350F (standard) or 160C/320F (fan). Grease and line a 22cm/9" cake pan.
Mix almond meal, semolina, baking powder, nutmeg and cardamon in bowl.
Beat butter and both sugars with an electric beater until incorporated. Add eggs, beat until smooth. Then add yoghurt and orange zest, beat until smooth.
Add dry ingredients. Stir until mixed through.
Pour into pan, smooth surface. Scatter over pistachios.
Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Poke 30 - 40 holes all over the cake using a skewer (poke all the way through). Pour warm syrup over while cake still hot. Leave to soak for 1 hour+ before removing from pan. Cool then slice to serve.
Pictured decorated with dried rose petals. Alternative: no decorations (pistachios alone look great!), dust with icing / confectionary sugar, of a Lemon Glaze (use this one)
- General note: cakes made without flour like this can tend to be a bit crumbly and dry. This cake is not - the moisture comes from the syrup poured over the cake while it's hot!
- Nutrition per serving.
Persian Love Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 6g38%
Vitamin A 325IU7%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 26mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 2.1mg