Recipe video above. A great frittata is a thing of beauty! Great for feeding a group , or a make ahead meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Soft and custardy on the inside, this is one of those recipes that's great to adapt to whatever add ins you want. See notes for STOVE ONLY version.
- 10 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk (any)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 300 g / 10oz bacon , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp / 15 g butter
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups / 150g mozzarella cheese , shredded (or other melting cheese)
- More cooked chopped bacon and spinach, for garnish as pictured
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a well seasoned skillet or non stick pan (about 26cm / 11") over medium high heat.
Add bacon and cook until almost golden.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add spinach and toss until just wilted - bacon should now be golden.
Turn heat down to medium. Remove about 1/3 of the bacon spinach into a bowl (for topping).
Add butter into the pan and swirl/spread across base of the pan.
Pour in about 2/3 of the egg mixture. Scatter over half the cheese, then pour over remaining egg mixture.
Scatter over reserved bacon and spinach, then cheese.
Cook for about 3 minutes until the sides are just set but not golden - check with knife.
Transfer to oven and cook for 8 minutes until the centre is just set and the cheese is melted on top.
Rest for a few minutes then slice and serve.
1. General notes:
* A touch of milk helps make the texture of the frittata a bit more custardy. Not the end of the world if you don't have it. Cream also works.
* Tip: If your frittata is stuck, leave for about 5 minutes and it will sweat off. But generally, it's better to ensure your cast iron skillet is well seasoned - or use a non stick pan!
* Can also cook under the broiler/grill for about 5 minutes. I prefer the oven for a slightly more even cook (broiler cooks top faster)
* NO OVEN? No problem! Cook on medium low on the stove with a lid on for about 6 minutes until sides are well set. Slide onto a plate, then place the skillet upside down over the plate. Then flip the plate and skillet and return to the stove. Slide onto plate when cooked! I make frittatas when I go camping for my friends and this is how I do it on a portable stove or even over fire.
2. Storage - Leftovers keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. I simply reheat in the microwave.
3. Nutrition per serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Vitamin A 505IU10%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 244mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 157mg | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 1.2mg