Turkey Gravy for SLOW COOKER Turkey
Recipe video above. Turkey gravy for turkey made in a slow cooker is made differently to roasted turkey! See above for gravy for ROAST turkey. Just as delicious, just different steps because we don't have pan drippings to work with. This recipe makes 2 cups of gravy. Allow 1/4 to 1/3 cups per person.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Broth for Gravy:
- All juices from slow cooker
- Turkey or chicken broth/stock (low sodium), for topping up
- 2 cups / 500 ml Broth for Gravy
- 4 tbsp / 50g unsalted butter OR skim fat off surface of slow cooker juices (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup / 35 g flour , plain/all purpose
- 1/4 tsp + dark soy sauce (or store bought gravy colouring) (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
Broth for Gravy:
Strain all the juices from the slow cooker into a bowl. If you have less than 2 cups (500ml), top up with store bought broth (chicken or turkey). I have never had to do this.
If you have more, use all the slow cooker juices (just needs to reduce longer to thicken).
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
Slow add broth, stirring constantly. Mix until lump free - switch to whisk if required.
Simmer for a few minutes until it thickens to desired consistency.
Add dark soy sauce (or gravy darkener) to achieve desired colour without affecting taste. Use a tiny bit at a time.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into jug and serve. TIP: Keep gravy warm in a thermos until required.
1. SKIM FAT off slow cooker juices - you can only do this for recipes that use quite a lot of butter in the recipe (such as this Garlic Herb Butter Slow Cooker Turkey Breast) as turkey breast itself is too lean to produce enough fat to do this.
2. DARK SOY SAUCE is how I darken and season the gravy. It has more flavour than just plain salt. It does NOT make it taste Asiany! Can be skipped but gravy will be a pale colour. Alternative - buy a gravy darkener or a touch of Worcestershire. Be careful with Worcestershire - has a strong flavour.