A summer staple! The thing that sets this Caprese Salad apart from the usual is that it's tossed with a garlic-herb vinaigrette first then finished with a balsamic glaze. Keeps it looking "clean" with terrific flavour! Serve as a side, on toast with avocado or as a light meal with bread.
* Or use 3/4 tsp mixed dried herbs, or other herbs of choice
is fresh mozzarella. Also known as cherry or baby mozzarella. The balls are about the size of cherry tomatoes.
2. Balsamic Glaze
- Balsamic vinegar and sugar simmered to reduce down to a syrup. Strong, intense flavour so just use it for drizzling. I've used store bought here, it's sold alongside normal balsamic vinegar.
- feel free to use any other clear vinegar, even white balsamic vinegar. Just taste and adjust dressing with more oil or vinegar if required.
- I like to use a ratio of 1:2 bocconcini to cherry tomatoes. Feel free to use more bocconcini.
- Best served freshly made.
- To prepare ahead, chop tomato and bocconcini, make Dressing. Prepare basil leaves but do not tear - turns black. Then assemble just before serving.