A summer staple! The thing that sets this Caprese Salad apart from the usual is that it's tossed with a garlic-herb vinaigrette first then finished with a balsamic glaze. Keeps it looking "clean" with terrific flavour! Serve as a side, on toast with avocado or as a light meal with bread.
- 220 g/7oz bocconcini / baby or cherry mozzarella , halved (Note 1)
- 500 g / 1 lb cherry or grape tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , torn or roughly chopped
- Balsamic glaze / reduction , for drizzling (Note 2)
Caprese Salad Dressing:
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (or other non spicy mustard)
- 2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (Note 3)
- 1/4 tsp each dried oregano , parsley, thyme (or rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
Place Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake very well. Adjust to taste.
Place tomatoes, bocconcini and most of the basil in a bowl. Drizzle over dressing, toss gently.
Transfer to shallow serving bowl. Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with remaining basil.
* Or use 3/4 tsp mixed dried herbs, or other herbs of choice
1. Bocconcini is fresh mozzarella. Also known as cherry or baby mozzarella. The balls are about the size of cherry tomatoes.
2. Balsamic Glaze - Balsamic vinegar and sugar simmered to reduce down to a syrup. Strong, intense flavour so just use it for drizzling. I've used store bought here, it's sold alongside normal balsamic vinegar.
3. Vinegar - feel free to use any other clear vinegar, even white balsamic vinegar. Just taste and adjust dressing with more oil or vinegar if required.
- I like to use a ratio of 1:2 bocconcini to cherry tomatoes. Feel free to use more bocconcini.
- Best served freshly made.
- To prepare ahead, chop tomato and bocconcini, make Dressing. Prepare basil leaves but do not tear - turns black. Then assemble just before serving.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 187mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 19.4mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 0.7mg