Quick Chicken Tacos - WITH sauce!
Recipe video above. A 2-in-1 chicken taco filling: shredded chicken AND sauce made in the same pan using the same seasoning mix! Because it's so juicy and packed with tons of flavour, the toppings can be kept simple and there's not need to make an extra sauce. No marinating required.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 700 g / 1.2 lb chicken thighs , skinless boneless (or breast)
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth, separated (liquid stock)
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING:
- 3 tbsp lime juice (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
- 3 tsp EACH cumin powder, paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust spiciness to taste, can skip)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Taco shells or tortillas , warmed per packet directions
- Diced tomato , onion, avocado, coriander/cilantro leaves
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
Place Taco Seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of the chicken broth and mix to form a loose paste.
Add chicken, turn to coat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side until lightly seared. (Reserve marinade dregs in bowl)
Remove chicken into a shallow dish.
Return skillet to stove, reduce to medium. Add remaining chicken broth, tomato paste, sugar and scrape in any marinade left in the bowl. Mix to dissolve, scraping base of pan, and bring to simmer
Meanwhile, shred chicken with forks, or chop (don't worry if raw inside).
Return chicken into sauce, toss and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until sauce reduces to a thin syrup consistency (add water if reduces too fast). Adjust salt to taste.
Transfer chicken and all sauce to serving bowl.
Warm taco shells or tortillas.
Stuff with chicken, making sure it's soaked with the sauce.
Top with tomato, avocado, onion, coriander, lettuce and sour cream. Devour!
1. Lime juice - loads of sub options here, just need something to help make a loose paste that adds either sour OR sweet. Lemon juice, cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or even orange or apple juice, or other plain fruit juice (can't taste it at the end). If using a fruit juice can probably skip sugar in sauce.
2. Nutrition for chicken filling and sauce only, per taco (assuming 12 tacos, about 1/4 - 1/3 cup in each). Only reduces to 100 cal if made using breast.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 190mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.6mg